Favourite socket set

Blanco

So, about 33 years ago I bought a socket set which I paid £28 for mail order. It has been without doubt the single most used most successful ever tool I have ever bought. In recent years I have had the misfortune to break a couple of bits, which I struggled to find replacements for.

Whats left looks like this.....

IMG_20190124_123907.jpg.f50d40eaa734bad75a9e97e594401846.jpg

This week I had to order some shocks from Paddocks and I was just browsing in the clearance section, and I found this,....

IMG_20190124_123900.jpg.e0ca715c8f10ff8808c2bbd32dad94c1.jpg

At last ...... 

Big features are the smooth stepless ratchet and the through socket design which is so versatile. In the first shot you can see a couple of sockets that don't match from an earlier  (failed) attempt to find compatible sockets, and the new set didn't come with a long extension bar, but I am just pleased to have found another one, I can keep one in each RR now.

Thing is that this ratchet/wrench format is so useful I can't believe it isn't more popular/widely available.

Funny thing is I paid £30 for the new one, hardly more than the original, and although Rolson wouldn't be a brand I would choose quality doesn't look bad, I think the stock might be quite old, looking at the box. Time will tell........... anyone come across 16mm hex drive 'through' style sockets anywhere else?

• Like 2

If the quality level that is acceptable to you is a £30 socket set then make it an impulse purchase and buy a under £30 12pc flexible ratchet ring to see how you get on with them instead of buying an over priced "Quality Set" 😉

I've had my two cheap sets (long and stubby) for about 5 years of light DIY use with no problem.

Edited by zardos

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

Thanks for the tip, but it looks as if we are too late, none of the stores I'll be local to have any stock left and it is being replaced, collection only if your local store has any. 

They don't have any stock because the they are not due to come in until Sunday 3rd of Feb 😉 in the UK for Ireland

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=15826

Not due in until Monday 28th of Jan

The sockets are about 2cm across or .8 of an inch where they go into the ratchet head. The 19 mm socket there is an adaptor that makes it a 12.mm or 1/2 inch drive to take it. 

The model number of the set is HG01215 or IAN303402.

Odd stuff is better. We have a Kamasa set my Dad bought nigh on 40 years ago. It's in a metal case, and has survived 30 years of use on the farm.

The ratchet handle isn't an ergonomic grip like my Halfords set. Nothing wrong with the latter set either, but the plastic case has a hinge that broke years ago.

Agreed (presuming old for odd). I have 20 yr Teng, near 40 yr Kamasa and 60 yr Britool inherited, all great stuff and I have never broken any of it despite trying quite hard. But it is all 1/2 inch and big heavy sets which stay at home. The handy thing about the little 3/8 inch set is it takes up no room in the boot, any is so multi-purpose.

• Like 1