mpg for 300tdi 110csw

I decided to check my mpg at the pump last night and over 385 miles from full I put 65l back into the tank, which I work out at 14.28 UK gallons. I make that 25mpg but reading through various posts on here and other forums I've seen people claiming closer to 30mpg. I saw someone claim 40 in a hard top. Is that wishful thinking by some people or am I getting less miles out of a tank than I should?

Usually trips of 30 miles on a roads, pretty much unladen with just me and maybe 50kg cargo, egr blanked and 150k on the clock.

I used to get around 30 from a CSW hacking in and out of central London, 35 on longer runs and yes I got 40 out of a hardtop on a long run down through France, with a fairly stiff following breeze.

The tyres I had fitted were initially Goodyear G90 and later Goodyear wrangler MTR, the change made no noticeable difference to fuel consumption. 

Edited by neil110

I get between 25 and 30 on the 90 200tdi. Running 265/75 BFG MT. and a standard 1.41 transfer box with roof rack/winch&bumper and a shedload if sound deadening. 

That’s mainly small runs, on a 30 mile trip to Glasgow it’s better unless you chase it on. It really just likes sitting about 60, it’s just shy of 3000rpm at 70. 

Cheers for everyone's replies. It's subjective but I think I tend to drive pretty gently and economically. The engines pre-heated in the winter as well, from a seperate fuel tank. Most of my daily journey is on roads where it's easy enough to keep at 40-50mph without dropping too much speed for corners and such like, need to stop for half a dozen junctions and two short 30mph zones. Tyres are about 35 front 40 rear if i recall correctly, general grabber AT2's 235/85 on 16s

6 hours ago, roamingyak said:

What speeds were you driving at?
Whacking along at 70mph on the motorway is different from putting around B roads at 40mph for fuel consumption.

Typically 65MPH on the M1 and whatever speed was possible in central London.

The hard top was always better than the CSW on economy and would typically return 35MPG over 13 years of ownership and 322,000 miles. It was a very early 300Tdi and the pump was tweaked to increase the performance, a larger intercooler added, engine pre heater and a heated diesel filter for winter. The tyres were round, black and made of rubber, sometimes Avon, sometimes BFG and sometimes Michelin.

I have no idea how I managed to achieve that sort of MPG other than my driving style, I later had a Citroen C1 and managed to get over 90MPG out of that on a long run, 75MPG hacking in and out of London

We did ~2,500 miles this Spring around Spain, motorway down to Portsmouth but once there, mainly local roads, a bit of gravel and a lot of hills. With ten re-fuel records (top-ups rather than whole tanks) I got 32mpg. I don't have the number to hand but we have had similar mpg over longer trips too.

We have a standard 300 TDi 110 SW but with no seats in the back, just storage boxes, sleeping frame, and general camping stuff - plus a small box on top with bits and bobs. So less weight than a lot of people. Whilst weight etc. have a big effect, driving style can swamp anything else - at least that's what I've found.

I have tracked the fuel economy of my 90 religiously over the last 5.5 years or 156,714 miles. In that time it has averaged 30.8 mpg under normal conditions, or 30.57 mpg when things like towing are included.

Key things are:

- As above, driving style has the biggest impact. If I drive everywhere at 50-55 I will add 2-3 mpg easily. But go mad in the process and wind everyone else up. I generally sit at 60 mph for most of my driving, a tad faster on motorways to keep me comfortably ahead of the wagons.

- Season has an effect. Mine is very cyclical with summer figures 1-2 mpg higher than winter. Due to winter diesel and higher incidences of headwind conditions (big impact on Defenders).

- Contrary to the belief of many on Internet forums I have found absolutely no statistically relevant difference between brands of fuel. I never use premium fuels though, and I believe the ‘standard’ diesel is all the same. 

- I’ve found no difference between road tyres and all-terrains. Have never run mud tyres, however I would expect them to rob a couple of mpg at least.

The above is based on data from 560 fill-ups and is true for a Tdi 90, I would expect a 110 to have slightly lower performance but mid-to-high twenties. Before I took it apart my 110 CSW returned about 28 mpg on a run in the short time I was using it. But nowhere near enough data to claim that as ‘normal’. 

I have a 300tdi CSW with a Brownchurch rack, winch, and running 265/75r16 mud terrains. MPG has been consistently 25/26  MPG mainly town with short motorway runs at 70 MPH, and towing a tipping trailer at weekends. If towing the caravan long distance  it drops to 21 MPG.

Going up hills and carrying heavy stuff around also has quite a bad effect on mpg. Land Rovers are magnets for accumulating heavy stuff in the back like tools, bottles of oil, screen wash and bags of stuff etc. So it pays to have a clear out regularly.

If I drive round at 50-60ish carrying nothing and stick to the level routes I get a vastly better mpg than carrying stuff up and down hills which can result in awful mpg in my 19J.

Sharp - i think your mpg is better than you think - I make that 27mpg from your figures in the original post. 

I get 23-28 out of my 200tdi but spend a lot of time on the motorway with a heavy foot. I ought to fit cruise control if I can find a system and then I might do better!

Hi There,

1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW with roof bars running Michelin Latitude Cross 750R16C on steel wheels.

Tend to accelerate really gently, never run over 2500rpm, also as above, like to drive as though we have no breaks. Boring!

Generally get between 28 and 29mpg as per pump. Once got 32mpg but that was on a long motorway run with a following wind.

Driving around the Lake District with 8 people and ruck sacks has a dent though, getting then around 22mpg

Simon...

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Wow, this thread makes me feel better about 18mpg @80mph in the ambulance - 2.8 Tons, 4.6 V8 and tall as a tower block!

Alternatively, 22mpg sat at ~65mph behind a coach was our best.

Considering the weight and the height, and it 's a 4.6 V8 it must have  a fantastically low drag coefficient.(!!) I think  that is outstandingly good. Or maybe you have one of those gadgets in the exhaust.

7 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Wow, this thread makes me feel better about 18mpg @80mph in the ambulance - 2.8 Tons, 4.6 V8 and tall as a tower block!

Alternatively, 22mpg sat at ~65mph behind a coach was our best.

I would be very happy getting that much from my 110. The best I ever got in the 3.9 V8 90 was 18mpg, following a 2.5 NAD to Wales.

As for diseasels, Mum's old 110 CSW 300 Tdi generally averaged around 28 with quite a bit of local stop-start farm work.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:48 PM, reb78 said:

Sharp - i think your mpg is better than you think - I make that 27mpg from your figures in the original post. 

I get 23-28 out of my 200tdi but spend a lot of time on the motorway with a heavy foot. I ought to fit cruise control if I can find a system and then I might do better!

Oops, thanks for checking my calculations! By the sounds of it 27mpg is pretty typical :)