109 4x2 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Project

Gentlemen,

I am new to this forum as am planning for my next project to make a 3/4 size Chitty Chitty Bang Bang replica on a 109" Series chassis.

I have just completed a Pembleton (Morgan 3 wheeler replica using 2CV bits) and think by using the cockpit width of the Pembleton that Chitty scales down to a 109 chassis.

My plan is to use a 88 rear prop shaft moving engine & gearbox back to suit, remove front axle drive from gearbox and use a pre 83 Transit front axle on SWB springs.

I have some pre war 19" Sankey spoked wheels with Land Rover PCD.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments, including where to get a suitable donor chassis much appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

Welcome Jack,

sounds like a bit of a challenge you have set yourself there.... and enormous fun! I can't be much help with the immediate need for a chassis I'm afraid but I hope you get sorted and we see something of the build on here. I am certain I won't be the only one who would love to see it take shape.

My only thought is that there was a guy on the 'one show' recently who had done a similar thing, he might be a good chap to talk to if you can track him down.

There's one of those that lives near me. I met the owner by accident once when I went to buy a transfer box from him. Had a tour of his garage which included a General Lee replica too. 

It's quite a beast, has a set of 4 hydraulic rams fitted to allow it to 'fly'. Article link. Pretty sure there's a few videos of it on youtube too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought a collection of bits to start this project, an ex army 1 ton 109 chassis & rear axle, and incomplete Series 111 88" diesel and a very rusty Series 11 V8 rolling chassis.

I will be reusing from the 88" the recently fitted front spring hangers on the 109" chassis.

Is there any reason why I cannot  fit the  88" leaf springs and shackles all round to the 109 chassis, given that there will be no luggage space?

This job lot means that I already have lots of not very good/unknown condition Land Rover bits I want to sell on quickly and cheaply, where is the best place to advertise them?

Thanks

Jack

2 hours ago, steve b said:

I'm pretty sure 109 and 88 rear's are the same length , I had a set of worn dual rate 109 rear's on an 88" years ago . I'm looking forward to seeing this progress - a nice little project

cheers

Steve b

Indeed, the same length.

Daan