Aux Battery

reb78

I finally have time to think about fitting an Aux battery to the 110 to run the fridge and other bits when camping.

The most useful/easy place to mount this will be on top of the wheel boxes in the back of the 110 - I can setup a seperate fusebox etc here easily. What do I need to bear in mind with regards to the battery if I am mounting and charging it inside the cabin? I have a normal lead acid battery that will fit in the space (I know its not ideal in terms of a 'leisure battery') but can I use this or will I have to vent it somehow?

The battery in there at the moment is rather large and Its got an amp in it and a small extra fusebox for additions like the electric lift pump i have fitted. I'd rather not move all of that if possible as it works (plus, because I have RRC seats fitted, it isnt the easiest space to access quickly).

You can buy plastic battery boxes from caravan shops, probably worth putting it in something just to reduce risk from exposed terminals, could always drill a hole through the bottom and wheelbox  to vent off any gas, though defenders are usually pretty ventilated anyway...

A regular starting battery isn't ideal for using as an aux battery, but as you have it anyway you might as well use it till it gives up.