HT Leads

101nut

Anyone used HT leads from Retro Rockets (www.vintageperformance.com)?

They do Pertronics ignition stuff which is pretty good and relatively cheap. I want a set of plug leads

but cant tell whether theirs are up to Magnecour spec or if they're standard £25 aftermarket silicons ...

AndyG

IMHO the price tag tells you what you need to know, either use decent Bosch OE leads, or if you have a silly coil you'll need Magnecors (ask me how I know)

Trouble is the American ones work out at about £45 delivered ... neither here nor there on price and the exchange rate is currently in our favour.

All I know is the other Pertronix ignition stuff maybe cheap but it's fairly bomb-proof. Having said that, if the Bosch ones are that cheap from Halfrauds I'll take a punt at them first. I usually avoid that place because I value my wallet!

AndyG

halfrauds seem to have improved as of late. i can only guess all the ORANGE paint is cheaper than the blue so more is left over for being a shop for real car owners. now if they could replace the spotty oik with one who could even reckonise a wheel...

Halfrauds or any motor factors should be able to sell you a set of Bosch for around £20-£25. Beyond that you may as well get Magnecor as they're guaranteed for life and known to be VFM, even if they are spendy. Why do you want uprated ones, do you have a bigger coil or such like? If not the Bosch will be fine, most BIC lighters make bigger sparks than the stock V8 coil :rolleyes:

What exactly is wrong with the OE's then? Are they getting damaged, breaking down, performing badly, letting in water...? If you're on stock ignition (points or amp & coil) the OE leads should be about the best thing for the job, pound for pound. There are better ways to spend money on the stock ignition setup than bling HT leads.

Halfrauds or any motor factors should be able to sell you a set of Bosch for around £20-£25. Beyond that you may as well get Magnecor as they're guaranteed for life and known to be VFM, even if they are spendy. Why do you want uprated ones, do you have a bigger coil or such like? If not the Bosch will be fine, most BIC lighters make bigger sparks than the stock V8 coil :rolleyes:

The stock coil on mine makes a pretty good spark - seems to get lost by the time it gets to the plugs though, even with decent leads. Dizzy, maybe? I know 'cause I stuck my finger on it recently :o:blink: while installing a spare spark plug to stop it sparking to the connectors around it now it's not doing anything bar provide a timing signal to the fuel systems.

This months project is to finish the megasquirt installation and get rid of the coil...

What exactly is wrong with the OE's then? Are they getting damaged, breaking down, performing badly, letting in water...? If you're on stock ignition (points or amp & coil) the OE leads should be about the best thing for the job, pound for pound. There are better ways to spend money on the stock ignition setup than bling HT leads.

I don't want 'bling', I want good and reliable and vfm. I paid about £25 for a set of 8mm silicons and within a few months they're shorting all over the place. They still look and feel good, the boots appear to seal pretty well ... they just don't seem to insulate!

Hence I want a set that will do their job without breaking the bank. Bearing in mind I'm now spending more money to replace a useless £25 set, lobbing out £45 on a set which will last longer than a year and won't suffer from the wet seems a good deal ...

AndyG

No argument with magnecors, have KV85's on the RR and they're lovely, they DO make a difference and they stand up to the silly silly coil that killed Bosch OE's.

I mean the sort of bling tat you get in "tuning" shops / eBay etc. that look the part but are complete rubbish.

No argument with magnecors, have KV85's on the RR and they're lovely, they DO make a difference and they stand up to the silly silly coil that killed Bosch OE's.

I mean the sort of bling tat you get in "tuning" shops / eBay etc. that look the part but are complete rubbish.

Mine 'look' like blue Lucas/Luminition/whatever ones ... just apparently made of plasticine! :rolleyes:

AndyG