FridgeFreezer

Good article - "King and Queen of the Sahara"

Thought this was an interesting article with some great photos, and a good take on why we love our LR's despite their flaws...

https://jalopnik.com/land-rover-and-mercedes-the-king-and-queen-of-the-saha-1831555271

Moreover, for a car to be worth the high price of import, it has to be repairable with simple tools: minimal electronic parts, no fancy computerized systems. All cars break down repeatedly in this environment, and durability is defined not only by how often they break, but also how readily they can be repaired.

fh62krsw9pgopiositla.thumb.jpg.a3f5b85525c64971dcd012af8dea5042.jpg

• Like 4

Nice piece and amazing photos. The other day a patron quoted a line from Popular Mechanics and I'm sure it was probably supposed to be derogatory but I love it - “Land Rover: Turning drivers into mechanics since 1948.”

This is exactly where LR have gone wrong, and why, when economic downturns occur, their sales plummet.  Their woes are not unpredictable - they're through bad management.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

This is exactly where LR have gone wrong, and why, when economic downturns occur, their sales plummet.  Their woes are not unpredictable - they're through bad management.

Exactly. It's all well and good having a RR/Disco that can fetch, but having a utility vehicle sold with a smaller margin will keep sales going in the low spots.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:50 PM, Shackleton said:

“Land Rover: Turning drivers into mechanics since 1948.”

haha - I think I'll use that as my tag-line...

Great article, but too much to read at work :D