LT77 Stuck in reverse

After a few years out of the fold I have recently returned to Land Rover ownership with a ‘86 ex-mod 90 fitted with a 200tdi.

Today whilst driving in a muddy field (low range, diff lock on), the gearbox has become stuck in reverse. The gear stick is seized solid with no side to side movement and only slight play back and forth. Even with considerable force it will not come out of reverse. I have tried with both engine on and off, transfer box in neutral and in gear with no luck.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this or is it a case of dropping the gearbox out and stripping it down?

Cheers

I'd hazard a guess that something has gone awry with the interlock spools. I believe that's something you can look at without removing the box. Hopefully somebody with direct experience will chime in and confirm, though. 

Related problem talked about here:

Before dropping the gearbox, have a look in the top and make sure that none of the selector mechanism has come undone and jammed. You should be able to get to most of it by taking the middle seat or cubby box out and the middle plate. If you see nothing amiss there, then the box is coming out anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Update in case any one comes across this post after searching for similar problems.

After finally getting a free weekend to work on the 90, I dropped the box and split it to see whats wrong. It appears the pin on the selector shaft has jumped out of the guide in the reverse idler arm. I'm not sure how this has happened, but after realigning it to where it should be the box is now going through the gears ok on the bench. Before I put it back together, if anyone knows how this could of happened and has any recommendations on what parts need replacing to stop it happening again would be appreciated.

Cheers

Reverse_gear.jpg

reverse_gear2.jpg