Advice needed re noise from propshaft/gearbox

neilc

Hello all , I've got a series 3 2.5 petrol swb , had it for 5 years , various issues over the years  , new  head gasket was the main one ! , I'm not a stranger to cut fingers and oil that won't come out of the cracks in my weathered hands so I'm not a novice by any means . Over Christmas I went on a 500mile round trip , I got back with no issues at all , the only thing I noticed is that on steep hills (Yorkshire) it sounded as if there was a flapping from under the floor by the gearbox . About 2 days after getting back the Landy started to make a noise when In motion , all gears including reverse work perfectly , however it sounds like a train , can someone please advise if this sounds like the UJ , I'm hoping that it's not the gearbox bearings , any advice would be appreciated , thanks , I've included a link as file was too big to upload , thanks , you can hear the exhaust rattling in the background , I'm about to replace that also 

It's definitely motion dependant but sounds more like something is catching on part of the drive train somewhere.  Have you had your head underneath already?  Look for any obvious obstructions.  Next would be UJ and prop shaft itself.  They can make a lot of noise when seized but to be honest, not like this sound.  I suppose if your gearbox mounts are knackered, it could mean that the prop is fouling somewhere...  Look for shiny/grazed metal where it could have done this.

Listening to the noise what do you all think ? It doesn't do it In  4th but Ive been told 4th doesnt go through gearbox or something similar,  does it sound like the gearbox ? what makes me think that it can't be the mounts is that it would happen in all gears , only thing I've done recently is remove the gear stick as it was vibrating to add that washer that stops it vibrating , however that was 500 miles ago , however I will try all of your suggestions , thanks 

Edited by neilc

Because it appears to be speed dependant, that could be why it doesn't affect 4th.  Some vibrations etc. don't occur at higher speeds.  Have you tried coasting?  Only do it if your brakes are good but when the noise is present, knock it out of gear.  If it's still there, I'd put money on it being the prop.  Somebody commented about removing the rear prop and driving in front wheel drive - that'd also be a good idea to help identify the problem.  Good idea to check the hand brake drum too.  Over wound shoes tend to make a different sound but something could have become dislodged causing fouling.  Start taking things to pieces!!  It won't fix itself!

12 hours ago, jordan_meakin said:

Listening again, I'm even more certain it's rotational fouling.  Are the prop weights in tact?  

Ok , a bit of progress here , if I coast with clutch in or out the noise is still there but at approximately half the volume , I tried it with clutch in and out as I know the clutch is a bit noisy , I'll remove the prop when I've got a bit of time and let you know , I'm assuming the volume is lower as there's no strain on it without acceleration?

Edited by neilc

Ok , I've had a short-lived success here , I took the rear prop off and the noise has gone so I'm really grateful , there is now a further issues that must be related , I went around the block without issue with prop off in high , now it won't move , front prop turns only in low ,  however if I put it in gear and lift the clutch it keeps running ! I try to push the red lever forward and it's as if it doesn't realise it's in gear and the prop doesn't turn , I know it doesn't turn because I've got the floor out , Any ideas please ? 

Edited by neilc

Simple bits first:

You mention free wheel hubs - have you checked they're engaged?  Do they still work properly?

In high ratio the thing is in 2WD unless the yellow knob has been pressed.  You mention the floor is out - is the centre tunnel still there?  yellow knob only works if the tunnel is there and the spring around the shaft is in place (unless you operate the pin restraining movement of the selector by hand)

4WD strange behaviour is usually siezure of the selectors where they emerge from the front of the transfer box above the drive flange.  The shaft the yellow knob mechanism engages with is simply spring controlled - and if the front end gets rusty strange things happen.  There is a cover which can be removed to inspect and clean - generally some vigorous cleaning and lubrication sorts it out properly.

The studs for the rear propshaft are in fact bolts secured in place with a large circlip. They only hold the propshaft on and won't fall out.  The handbrake drum is held on by the outer row of BSF studs and nuts.

Was thee anything obviously wrong with the back shaft (Knackered and rusty UJ?)

Back propshaft was a bit clunky so I've removed the ujs ( with a hammer and socket ears still ringing) and order 2 new ones , they just appeared a bit loose , free wheeling hubs are locked , I know this because I've already done a circuit of my road .I've put the studs back in x4 on the handbrake drum , could that be a problem , main concern is that I can release clutch in gear ( well I think it's in gear I)and it  still doesn't stall , as I say I'm happy that the propshaft was the issue as noise went , however now I can't move it at all ?  

Edited by neilc

On 2/3/2019 at 11:08 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

If you take the rear prop off remember to do the nuts all the way back up to hold the handbrake drum on!

Different nuts, I think.  As I remember it, the drum securing studs are outboard of the prop flange.  But leaving the prop nuts loose could cause some rattles from the studs wobbling inn the flange.

I had a similar chuffing/scraping noise from a distorted diff pinion mud shield - it was slightly skewed and scraping on the nose of the diff casing.  It just needed prying back a tiny amount to gain close clearance.

The loss of drive is a worry.  If the front prop is turning, you must either have open FWH, even if selected closed (the sliding members can seize in place if not regularly used) or something has broken inside the axle.  I'd start with the FWH; personally, I think they're far more trouble than they're worth and would fit standard flanges.

Have you drained the oil from either box or the diffs yet?  Use a coarse strainer to catch any bits - a broken tooth in the gear box can make similar noises when torque is applied in that gear, and a broken tooth is likely to result in bits coming out with a drain down.

have a small update (it's cold outside! ) the yellow plunger does go down and stay , the red stick goes forward ,central and back and is still attached to the rod which it is clearly pushing in and out , I am going to take off the front cover to see if the other 2 rods are moving , just 1 question , is it ok the move 4wd selectors with this cover off ? , I could do without a handful of rods and springs , also what should I be looking for? Does the fact that the red and yellow levers seem to be doing what they should give any clues to my issue ? Thanks

As said above, if the prop is spinning and its going nowhere you have a problem in the axle not the transfer box. This may well be causing the noise. Broken diff, broken half shaft or broken FWH are what you're looking for. I'd start with the hubs, though. 

2 hours ago, lo-fi said:

As said above, if the prop is spinning and its going nowhere you have a problem in the axle not the transfer box. This may well be causing the noise. Broken diff, broken half shaft or broken FWH are what you're looking for. I'd start with the hubs, though. 

^ This. Could just be a gummed-up FWH.

17 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

^ This. Could just be a gummed-up FWH.

Can I please clarify something , I'm on the understanding that the front prop turns 100% of the time 2wd or 4wd , is this the case ?, if this is the case I'm hoping that its just carp in the front casing that covers the rods or an issue with the pin or swivel mechanism at the other end of the yellow lever , it is going down but may not be engaging enough . Rear prop currently off but I'm confident that when I put it back on with new ujs that it will at least work in 2wd 

10 minutes ago, neilc said:

Can I please clarify something , I'm on the understanding that the front prop turns 100% of the time 2wd or 4wd , is this the case ?

Yes and No.

Assuming FWH are not installed, or if they are (as in your case) they are Locked, then in 2WD the front propshaft will NOT turn just because the engine is driving the gearbox.

In the same circumstances (2WD & FWH locked) the front propshaft WILL turn as the car moves along the road as the propshaft is driven from the wheels rolling along the ground.

This answer assumes the FWH are not broken in any way, and that both front halfshafts are intact. Without FWH the replacement assumption would be that the drive members and their bolts have not broken.

Regards.