Wide arches

I bought a rear pair of 30mm wide arches (265mm tyres) for my 1984 defender 110 Hcap for about £80.

They came with plenty of the nice little clips to attach them.

What I hadn’t appreciated was that they would turn up in a nice box with ‘Britpart’ written on it.

After some investigation there were two issues..

1. The lovely clips were less useful than hoped.. so I went to my main dealer to buy oem ones.. much more robust.

2. The oval holes in the arches didn’t come very close to lining up with the studs in my vehicle bodywork arches. New holes to be drilled... ho hum

To be fair though they look fine and seem sturdy enough so I won’t be sending them back.

Method for putting them on..

a) remove dirt etc from studs inside vehicle bodywork arches

b) drill holes in new extended arches to marry up with studs on vehicle bodywork arches (if they don’t fit)

c) clip into place using good quality clips

Hope that helps :)

Edited by Keith1984

Talking to someone about these the fronts are the arches only, they don't come with the inner section like the OE ones. This mean you need to cut up your old ones to have the inner section when you fit them, makes it a bit of a non-reversible job!

I've just fitted a set of these to my project, I've only gone for the fronts as I have a hi cap tub so standard width arches should be ok on the rear.

As said above, they fit into the normal holes under the wing using the usual trim clips with a bit of enlarging of the holes in the arch, you do have to cut up your old front arches to bridge the gap between arch and arch liner, or buy a cheap pair of arches to chop up if you want to keep your old ones.

50035339_157123261965707_637867664641888

• Like 2

On 2/5/2019 at 9:51 AM, Mudmonkey said:

I've just fitted a set of these to my project, I've only gone for the fronts as I have a hi cap tub so standard width arches should be ok on the rear.

As said above, they fit into the normal holes under the wing using the usual trim clips with a bit of enlarging of the holes in the arch, you do have to cut up your old front arches to bridge the gap between arch and arch liner, or buy a cheap pair of arches to chop up if you want to keep your old ones.

50035339_157123261965707_637867664641888

Thanks. Any chance of a photo of the inside of the arch where the fixings are, I am still not sure what the issue is.

The material used in these new extended arches, is it comparable to the Defender original arches with flexibility or is it like the cheap hard plastic stuff that crack the minute you put them near a trail? 

I to have been holding off on buying a full set till they became more popular and opinions began showing up on the forums. 

• 1 year later...

sorry for bringing this up again...

but just fitting my new britpart arches at the moment...  I wanted these since the other wide arches are tough, and if you hit them there is a tendency to warp the wing since they do not flex so much.   I also like their look...looks pretty standard, just a bit wider which works for me.  

bungled up the first front one...you guessed it... I cut the inner bit wrongly....

managed to join it together and make it half decent using cable ties.... but the biggest issues is trying to put them back together using both the new arch and the old part (filler) in the same hole and using the same plastic thing... the plastic rivet is not long enough and it does not fasten properly as instead of one layer of rubber/plasic (arch), you have the new arch and the old cut up part acting as the filler, sandwiched together and you need to fasten in the same hole.   

in the end I ended up just stuffing the filler part in there, and drilled a few holes in the metal inner arch (6mm) and used the same plastic bits to keep in place...  seems to have worked...  

alternatively one can consider using some nut and bolts (maybe not in all the holes to at least fasten this filler piece in place so it does not fall off.  will actually consider this, remove a few of the plastic rivets and use nuts and bolts and it should work fine.  

will see what happens on the other side...  

cheers