Open/clean/rebuild Ashcroft ATB: experiences?

Hi all,

Just bought a set of used Ashcroft ATB's. Low mileage but probably used intensily: seller had a Disco Td5 on extreme off road tyres and upgraded to air lockers.

The bearings sound a bit grainy and I found some dirt in the splines. Obviously it has seen a bit more than just oil, contrary to what the seller told me. Also found some cracks in what looks like a shim (photo attached). I presume that a dirty halfshaft has been installed - one can also see some rust coloured dirt in the beginning of the splines, in the out-of-focus area.

So I think a good clean is in order. According to a post on the South African forum, the ATB's are quite easy to open and clean:

Opening and inspecting the ATB is easy. Nothing springs apart and only thing you need to worry about is a pack of belleville washers in the middle- you need to note how they are placed and put them back the same

Does anyone have to add something to that?

Greetings,

Joris

ATB fractures.JPG

Edited by Vogler
Spelling error

The teeth that you see are the splines for the driveshaft. The photo has been taken from the opening where you insert the halfshaft, in the lower right of the image you posted.

Edit: your image also shows that the cracked item is most likely one of the belleville washers. Thank you for posting it!

Joris

Edited by Vogler
added remark

There is quite noticeable spline wear in that photo.  It looks like they have been well used.  Whether that has any significant bearing on their serviceability I don't know, but it will increase cumulative backlash.  I can see the illusion of it being a bevel gear, too.  

I'd be interested in Nige's opinion about their condition, and more photos of what you find as you open them would help in that.

Cheers all. I mailed Dave Ashcroft, asking if he could estimate their condition based on the photo, but apart from the fact that the springs are obviously cracked, he can't say anything.

I'll ask the seller first if he's prepared to take them back, if he doesn't I'll open them.

Actually I'm quite curious to disassemble the ATB's and see their innards. I found absolutely nothing online about opening Ashcroft ATB's (which might be a testimony to their strength) except for the post I quoted above , but I'm not prepared to invest that much money in what might be scrap just for curiosity's sake.

J

Edited by Vogler
grammar

The seller gave me permission to open the other of the two ATB's to assess its condition and to see if it would be OK. In the end I did return both of them but at least it gave me the chance to see what's inside. I suspect others are keen to see it too, so here are some pics.

32113486187_fe9defa8ba_c.jpg

40090278763_70573f6806_c.jpg

The large cogs should be switched on the photo. This way they wouldn't fit.

33180134818_94e8975657_c.jpg

This is what you see once it's open. Underneath the cog one can see a broken belleville washer, which should be a bit deeper underneat a smaller cog, I probably made a mistake when I briefly put things back to make the photos. One should see a ring on top of it which is part of a smaller, sliding sprocket-like part that keeps the rings contained. They can be seen at the top of the exploded views.

33180129698_e97d4ce03b_c.jpg

The large cog that receives the halfshaft. I now have a new ATB waiting for installation, and when comparing the splines were indeed worn, as Snagger mentioned.

47003255942_60e2e2f03d_c.jpg

The worm wheels sit in the pockets without any bearings or alike.

46141483775_f7d1ee40bc_c.jpg

Actually I was surprised about how loosely it all fits. There were also very few unpainted machined surfaces on the inside, also on the outside 'lid' which the worm wheels push against.

47055227611_00eb883967_c.jpg

Here you can clearly see a crack in the spring. Two or three spring washers were broken.

32113558757_9b5d6035c3_c.jpg

Drilling a bit deeper. The middle parts and upper worm wheels are out, and you can just discern the worm wheels of the other side.

46331410824_9df6a5cde4_c.jpg

Some details of the worm wheels and sprockets. There's quite some wear and some chipping to be seen. If they were truly low mileage, than I have the impression that they have already suffered a lot 

32113469817_d9091ab3bc_c.jpg

33180055518_686b1cb88a_c.jpg

40090288593_f5c4c04a89_c.jpg

33180035988_8be2e7b152_c.jpg

46141525415_c69463ea2d_c.jpg

Hope you enjoy it.

Greetings,

Joris