200Tdi Pistons

nige90

Pulled the motor apart to find severe wear on No1 bore.

Local engine shop has quoted £80 each for pistons, but

Paddocks website shows them for half that.

Does anyone know who manfactures thier stock ?

Having read the post recently in the Discovery forum about

variable quality from Britpart, I want ensure I get good

pistons preferably not spending nearly £400.

Nige

Not sure of the piston manufacturers, but EPC [2002 prices excluding vat]

200Tdi piston kits [full set 4 pistons]

standard 'X' ERR1390 £246.33

standard 'Y' ERR1391 £165.32

0.020inch oversize STC1052020 £231.29

0.040inch oversize STC1052040 same as 0.20inch oversize.

Pulled the motor apart to find severe wear on No1 bore.

Local engine shop has quoted £80 each for pistons, but

Paddocks website shows them for half that.

I want ensure I get good

pistons preferably not spending nearly £400.

Nige

If they turn out to be quality branded that would be a bl@@dy good price at £40?? ea. When i replaced mine 2 years ago, they were i think Hepolite, @ £60 ea trade & no VAT, so £80ea is probably right now. Cheap pistons will be suspect material probably with a high expansion & made in China, rather than the correct low expansion so will rattle well when cold, possibly with cracking issues & causing bore cracking from the piston slap as well so best avoided.

Buy the pistons yourself - Garages etc make a profit on parts as well as labour, so it's more than reasonable to think you might get the pistons cheaper if you buy them yourself. I paid about £40 each for TD pistons, and they are Hepolite. You should get a piston kit, which is Piston, rings, piston pin (gudgeon pin) and circlips.

When you say severe wear on No1 bore, do you know why just the one bore is bad?

Les. :)

Whereabouts are you Nige?

There's a great engine reconditioners close to Oxford who supplied mine. Not sure on price but reasonable IIRC. Let me know if you need more details.

Oop North on the Wirral Si.

Shopping around for prices at the mo, or will be once the shops open again.

Les, haven't found a reason for just the one bore yet, suspecting a blockage in the

oil squirter thing that feeds the skirt but not stripped them out yet. The piston itself

is hardly marked and the concentric machine marks are still intact right round the

skirt. Rings intact but visibly radiused. Hoping a 40thou bore will sort it or I'll be

back on looking for a block :(

The engine ran fine apart from a reasonable amount of fuming from the rocker

box and a slight slap on gentle over-run.

Been on Turner Eng's site, similar price tp Paddocks. Anyone experienced Turners ?

Nige

If they turn out to be quality branded that would be a bl@@dy good price at £40?? ea. When i replaced mine 2 years ago, they were i think Hepolite, @ £60 ea trade & no VAT, so £80ea is probably right now. Cheap pistons will be suspect material probably with a high expansion & made in China, rather than the correct low expansion so will rattle well when cold, possibly with cracking issues & causing bore cracking from the piston slap as well so best avoided.

you're dead right phill there are some carp pistons out there. we fitted 5 to a 6 cylinder lister, the engineer doing the job refused to fit them at first but there was some issue with supply. so he did it reluctantly. they lasted 3 months, one of them was a melted lump on the end of the con rod :o the other 4 looked like they had done 10 000 hours and the one genuine piston was still like new :) but i'm sure any reputable firm would only fit good uns, and i'd steer clear of buying anything so critical in a britpart box (if indeed they supply pistons) :D

good luck paul