Auto oil cooler pipes defender

Hi 

I've fitted a ZF 4HP22. auto box to my TD5 2006 defender build, with V8 and am now looking at the gearbox oil cooler. I have a good classic range rover gearbox oil cooler, the tube type with fins, fitting each end. Does anyone know if the classic range rover gear box oil cooler pipes are the right length and will fit? Its a classic rangy gearbox and oil cooler, so threads should be ok, its just the length i am worried about before i buy some? Or any other advice / suggestions?

It will depend where you have the engine fitted in relation to the engine bay, without that it is hard to say.

What I will say is that the return line is relatively low pressure and can be secured with jubilee clips quite happily, and that the bog brush cooler can be mounted at a height which suits your set up for the other pipe.

Personally, I would go to a local hydraulics place and get somemad up though, it is not expensive and they will outlast a nuclear war. Just plan where they need to go, and what fittings to use (right angle/45 or straight) and do some measuring with a piece of hose pipe.

I used pipes from a RRC on my 90. Mine was a factory V8.

I used the bog brush cooler but had to alter the brackets to fit narrower Defender radiator panel.

As for joining the cooler to the pipes I got some hose from my local hydraulic place and jubilee clipped it over the swaged pipe ends. The pressure isn't all that high.

I used one of these as its more heavy duty than the bog brush especially if you are working it hard towing etc . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTO-GEARBOX-OIL-COOLER-for-MITSUBISHI-PAJERO-SHOGUN-2-8-TD-1993-1996-ONLY/382253234882?fits=Car+Make%3AMitsubishi&epid=9022089285&hash=item5900117ac2:g:gCkAAOSwcZ9bZF-6:rk:27:pf:0 

For extra security just double jubilee clip (stainless type)  worked for several years no probs .

Very interesting read Keeley75, a lot of my niggling little things to work out, i got from your very detailed build, thanks. I'm also trying to do a similar " as factory as possible" build.

One thing i dident see, maybe you can help. As you can tell i am at the figuring out how to mate all the different wiring up. I too have fitted a ZF HP22 auto box, but mine from a classic range rover. I have the gearbox loom, but it has all the older type R/R plugs etc. Did your disco HP22 loom have later plugs and did it plug straight into your loom? Do you have any info on this?

Thanks John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi the disco loom had a large econoseal plug fitted. It went from the gearbox wiring and changed colour to suit the disco loom at the plug. This caused a small headache. I cut off the plug as there was miles of it and it only had to reach the bulkhead.

The reverse light, diff lock were terminated into a sumito waterproof plug that matches the Td5 loom. So integrated as per factory.

The inhibit wires I put inline with the starter relay circuit. Ie if it’s in a gear the signal to the relay is broken. If you place in park N continuity is made and the car starts. It’s the same circuit the alarm uses to inhibit starting.

This is from the disco 1 manual that helped me work it out

image.thumb.jpg.eac5f8e20745a578d2a845be37f2d6af.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.5e3278014f928929a16a54fb5ed0389e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.9c88701607e888a3f20f9e04e5015b76.jpg

image.jpg