ananab

1992 90 FFR - 24v generator/alternator

Hi All

After having a long bereavement period of my last 90 being stolen in 2014, i've finally plucked up the courage and saved up the dosh for another one.  This one is FFR and still has the radio table and battery box in the back.  What I am wondering is about whether it is feasible to use some sort of lithium camping batteries in combination with the 24v alternator to give me the ability to use electrical items when i'm camping.  Has any one done this with theirs? Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas?  Or just take out the 24v alternator and just use a transformer wired to the 12v battery?

Edited by ananab

Lithium camping batteries need a particular charging regime so need a dc/dc charger that has a lithium setting on them - these are available but I have only seen them in a 12v - 12v configuration - you will need to see if any are available.

Also, I assume you know that lithium batteries in about the 100Ah size are still hellish expensive so you really need to be sure that you need their smaller size and smaller weight.

Yeah, the cost is, errrr, off putting, i was really just thinking of how little space there is in the back with the battery box in place (2 midgets and a 24hr ration pack fit well). I have a penthouse tent for the back (unfortunately not a 9x9), so i suppose space or weight isn't a real issue, other fitting my gear in the back. There's always this.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clansman-24v-Batteries-And-Interface-Charging-Tray/162114135556?hash=item25bec16604:g:~D8AAOSwvg9Xa6bK  ,      although what i'd use those batteries for, i'm not sure!

Edited by ananab
incomplete post

What do you want to use from 12V?

I doubt that charger will be suitable for Lithium batteries.

On 2/6/2019 at 1:14 PM, Bowie69 said:

What do you want to use from 12V?

^ this is the real question. Start with what you're trying to achieve.