1985 Ninety, wash/wipe switch issues

On 10/6/2019 at 7:18 PM, blowmeover said:

Is there anything else on the wiper motor fuse that could be feeding the motor?

No, there doesn't seem to be. Every wire going into the fuse box is factory, it looks like its never had any aftermarket lights, stereo, nothing.

At a time like this, I feel like running a brand new circuit though...

4 hours ago, old/new england said:

No, there doesn't seem to be. Every wire going into the fuse box is factory, it looks like its never had any aftermarket lights, stereo, nothing.

At a time like this, I feel like running a brand new circuit though...

The only thing that triggers on and stays on when the trigger is switched off is a faulty relay. Pull all the relays then try it.

3 minutes ago, blowmeover said:

The only thing that triggers on and stays on when the trigger is switched off is a faulty relay. Pull all the relays then try it.

There are no relays....in this era for the wipers.  Wiper relays were introduced with the "Defender" in the 91 model year, giving intermittent and wash with wipe functions.  It is straight wires from the switch to the motor.

Yeah, it's a really early Ninety, with an 'AA' prefix on the chassis number, so quite right, it's lacking in relays compared to the later ones. The factory were making this era with some leftover series-model type details; like galvanized bumpers and rain channels etc. I've had it for years now and unlike most of my vehicles which come and go, I still love this little'un. I'll get to the bottom of this silly problem.

SAG_0025 2.jpg

Step one in these situations is to understand exactly how wiper wiring works and then use a meter to troubleshoot the offending part.  It beats changing parts and hoping.

Personally, I change my old trucks to the later style intermittent stalk.  It is all plug and play with a loom from Autosparks.

25 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Step one in these situations is to understand exactly how wiper wiring works and then use a meter to troubleshoot the offending part.  It beats changing parts and hoping.

Personally, I change my old trucks to the later style intermittent stalk.  It is all plug and play with a loom from Autosparks.

That's why I'm here; attempting the understand exactly how the wiper wiring works. 'Changing parts and hoping' didn't seem like such a bad idea when I was talking about half an hour and a $20 column switch followed by a $20 park switch.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2019 at 7:27 PM, Red90 said:

There are no relays....in this era for the wipers.  Wiper relays were introduced with the "Defender" in the 91 model year, giving intermittent and wash with wipe functions.  It is straight wires from the switch to the motor.

No , but my point was if its being backfed by something else.

28 minutes ago, Red90 said:

How?  It is a simple and completely isolated system.  Switch to motor directly.  There is no way for it to cross feed with anything.

Every wiring system would be completely isolated, the gist I got from this thread was all probable causes had been covered, so if the problem isnt the park switch and they cannot be shut down they must be drawing power from somewhere.