fearofweapons

MOT Exemption

So....

the SIII 1st registered in 1975 has it's MOT due at the end of the month. 

It is now registered as an historic vehicle.

When we bought it it had a 90 2.5 petrol engine in it - we are told it was originally diesel. We are not sure when the petrol was put in but probably within the last 30 years.

Given that an engine change is listed as a substantive change exempting the vehicle from the MOT exemption BUT such swaps were carried out within the first 10 years of the end of production would the advice of this group be that the vehicle is now exempt from needing an MOT? ( At least I think such swaps were carried out in the 10 years post production stopping of the SIII )

This URL is the official gov link for information if that helps.  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria#acceptable-changes

regards,

Richard

As the 2.25 petrol and diesel were both standard options and the 2.5 is a development of the 2.25 and has the same characteristics and configuration, my understanding is that it is not considered a substantive change.  However, apart from the obvious comment that from a legal perspective, getting an MoT done is the safest bet, it's also true from a practical point of view; how many of these old vehicles are in good enough condition, with inspections and maintenance regular and rigorous enough to justify not having an MoT?  Not many.  I urge you, for others' safety as much as your own, to get it checked every year - this new regulation is ludicrously dangerous, even if used for the concourse restorations it was likely intended for.

• Thanks 1

I agree and will be submitting it for a pre-MOT anyway. You really can not mess with this sort of thing and better to be safe than not. 

• Like 1

Wow did not realise the rules had changed so significantly from previous years. Thanks for the link as my vehicle has significant changes but were well documented back in 1980! Plus the recent change I am making is classed as a safety upgrade so all is good.

“Alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines are not considered to be a substantial change.

If the number of cylinders in an engine is different from the original it’s likely to be, but not necessarily, the case that the current engine is not alternative original equipment.”

The 2.5 is the same basic engine as the 2.25. No issue.

on the issues of MOT exemption, is this automatic or do I need apply on the DVLA website?

had a look on the dot gov website but couldn't see anywhere to apply. I don't want to start of discussion of morality on whether It should checked yearly just don't want to get caught out assuming the MOT exemption is automatic. 

thanks in advance 

You don't need to apply, but I would suggest changing your vehicle taxation class to "Historic" if you haven't already. By changing status to Historic, then at least the DVLA computer should know that the vehicle is over 40 years old and could be exempt from requiring a MOT.

It appears not all traffic police are aware of the rules. I was stopped in my tax exempt Series 3 late at night 6 months ago, for having no MOT. I had to explain the rule change to them. After some checking, a cursory glance over my vehicle, and exchange of details, I was allowed to go.

My free tax is due for renewal at the end of the month, hopefully the DVLA computer won't say no....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Simon for the response. 

it's already registered as a historic vehicle and tax free. 

we found a page on the dot gov website where we can make a declaration for it being not substantially modified and thereby register it as MOT exempt. 

Edited by jason110

There is form V112/V112G which is self declaration for exemption, you should only need this if taxing in person at a Post Office. My tax renewal says "This vehicle may need an appropriate test". Last year it said "valid MOT".

Just renewed the historic/free taxation on the series 3. At the point for checking a valid MOT, the website stated words to the effect - this vehicle is over 40 years old and may be exempt from a MOT if not substantially altered in the last 30 years. There was then a self declaration option to accept the statement or decline - if vehicle has been modified for instance.