MOT Exemption

fearofweapons

7 hours ago, Petesrover said:

How young you all are, many many years before my time so I have been told, cars did not rust as bad as they do now, many cars of the 20's, 30's & 40's were parked up just for being out of fashion, cars of the 50's did not normaly show much rust untill the 80's thats 30 years & some early land rover chasis pre 70's were very solid many years after, I won't mention landrover chasis of the 70's, but to be fair many cars of the 70's were rust buckets, maybe the newer cars are solid again, I wouldnt know as I can't afford one & wouldn't know how to repair it if it went wrong, I did have a 2002 landrover discovery with a rotten chasis, rotten boddy & a naff ecu or what ever you call those things that make modern cars unreliable.

I was referring to 70s and 80s cars as that was when car ownership really proliferated.  They were terrible, especially anything BL or Japanese.  The Japanese fixed it in the early 90s, maybe a little earlier, and set a benchmark for longevity.  BL?  Well...

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

I was referring to 70s and 80s cars as that was when car ownership really proliferated.  They were terrible, especially anything BL or Japanese.  The Japanese fixed it in the early 90s, maybe a little earlier, and set a benchmark for longevity.  BL?  Well...

And they're still arguing about it 40 years later... :lol:

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

If only they’d put that much energy into managing the company. 😏

FFIL remembers visiting the factory in the 70's and seeing hammocks on the production line, and the canteen serving pints on lunch break :rolleyes: it's a miracle they ever made any cars at all :lol:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Early '80s I worked for a Porsche dealer and we had an ARG dealer across the business park, (it's all a Sainsbury's now). Pre-delivery work for us consisted of getting the polythene, cardboard and wax off the car, checking all of the levels, checking the level of battery charge and putting some fuel in. Sometimes, we sometimes had to bolt some special wheels on or add a radio. 

The poor sods across the car park never knew the sort of dog they had until it turned up. Starting and running was not a given; so many cars were missing componants when rolled off the transporter, that they routinely had mechanics and sales staff pushing cars across the yard. The craziest thing I was shown was a Morris Marina in the last year of production where one side had disk brakes and the other side was drums. Changing parts to make a vehicle work was not uncommon; adding coils and starters was usual, (Lucas and GKN went on strike more often than BL/ARG, but they tried not to stop the line). Although I never saw it, I can easily believe the sandwich box in the box section story.

If you have a Series that has been rebuilt, you can be fairly confident it was put together better than new.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1