14Platoon

Snorkel bits

1992 ex mod Defender

2.5 n/a DieseL

Finally got around to connecting my snorkel up. Can anyone identify what these two lugs with threads are and what they’re for? 

Thanks 

121F1E4B-7DDD-4AD1-B05A-143BE63F22B6.jpeg

F6BF6272-992A-4C91-A6E0-AA18CC28A881.jpeg

Breather pipe intakes? From the axles and timing chest.

• Like 1

I thought the axle breathers just got fastened to the top of the snorkel 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have a couple of military parts catalogues, I'll have a look in them, see if I can spot anything

1 hour ago, neil110 said:

I have a couple of military parts catalogues, I'll have a look in them, see if I can spot anything

Thanks mate 

18 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Breather pipe intakes? From the axles and timing chest.

Think you’re right with the axle breathers. 

4 hours ago, 14Platoon said:

Thanks mate 

Had a look at both of them, sadly no information about snorkels. Lots of stuff about arctic heaters, snow blinds, interior insulation and stuff like that though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neil110 said:

Had a look at both of them, sadly no information about snorkels. Lots of stuff about arctic heaters, snow blinds, interior insulation and stuff like that though

Thanks for looking anyway 👍🏻

14Platoon,

Is there any provision in the bottom of your air filter housing to let out any water that gets sucked in by the snorkel?

I have sealed off the bottom of my housing, but think that I need some sort of a one way valve to let any water out of the system so it doesn't make its way to the engine.

Cheers,

Colin

36 minutes ago, Cchase said:

14Platoon,

Is there any provision in the bottom of your air filter housing to let out any water that gets sucked in by the snorkel?

I have sealed off the bottom of my housing, but think that I need some sort of a one way valve to let any water out of the system so it doesn't make its way to the engine.

Cheers,

Colin

No water is to get in there at all. The air filter and snorkel bits all get sealed watertight so the only opening is at the very top of the snorkel. Any water elsewhere would damage the engine as it can get sucked in. 

On 2/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, vulcan bomber said:

There breather connections for the axles and gearboxes.

Thread in the snorkle is ¼bsp.

Thank you 

On 2/10/2019 at 6:40 AM, neil110 said:

neil110, are these manuals on line?  If so, could you supply a link, please/

Mike

They must be cos that is where I got them from. There are 2, the first one covers the parts which differ from the civilian model, the second details the more specific military bits. I'll see if I can find the link again.

Not wanting to quibble, but wouldn't some water be sucked into the snorkel through the inlet mushroom if it were raining?

That's a good question. When I saw these in operation on farm tractors that didn't happen, I think there's a sort of cyclone effect that separates the rain. The tractor mushrooms were see-through, but had to be cleaned.

Whether the cyclone effect would happen at seventy miles per hour is something I don't know.

Zetor pre filter

15 hours ago, Gazzar said:

That's a good question. When I saw these in operation on farm tractors that didn't happen, I think there's a sort of cyclone effect that separates the rain. The tractor mushrooms were see-through, but had to be cleaned.

Whether the cyclone effect would happen at seventy miles per hour is something I don't know.

Zetor pre filter

70 mph... More like 70kph! ...2.5na with a 1.67 transfer case...

Good point. 

Neil110,

Many thanks for the effort you put in to supply this link

Mike.

You are more than welcome, Mike. The arctic stuff is in the part 2 book. They take a little while to download, or to get to the stage where you can download them