Does this matter?

I decided to refill the swivels with grease (on my TD5 Defender)

One side was OK it took about half the tube of grease but the other side was full of axle oil.

So l take it the seal between the axle and swivel has failed.

But do l need to do anything about it? I checked the axle and the oil level was fine although it clearly has been contaminated with swivel grease.

So l changed the axle oil anyway. The swivels themselves are OK, they were replaced about 18 months ago by a LR garage.

The swivel that’s full of axle oil is leaking a little (l think that’s why they changed to grease?) but not enough to be an issue.

Edited by Lightning

So long as it has oil or grease in there, It's not an issue.

If the leak gets too bad then renew swivel seal and do stub axle seal at the same time...

But it's ok to leave it as is for now, just get set for a messy tedious job at some point. 

Not sure the garage will give you any joy, as the seal in the stub axle has failed  and is not disturbed when doing the swivel joints?..... May be bad timing but they are a wear and tear item, that said some guys DO knock the stub axle seals out and let the diff oil (EP90) flow straight through. Garage may renew swivel seal at best if deemed to have failed significantly???

If it wasn’t leaking out of the swivel seal l would leave it, but it’s leaking oil onto the inside of the tyre.

l am happy to pay them for the work if it’s nothing to do with replacing the swivels.

After all, the Landy is 14 years old and has done over 100,000 miles so l would expect some issues to crop up from time to time.

Edited by Lightning

That wouldn't bother me, lubrication is good. Especially of flange splines.

But lube can only escape to the outside tyre at the swivel seal, or the hub seal between the stub axle and the bearings.

If the swivel seal is good, then it must be the hub seal. Simple job, really.

So is it worth paying to get the suspension dismantled to repair this fault?

Or will it be fine to just forget about it. I’m guessing there’s going to be a bill for over £200 if l get it done.

Somebody has said that some people don’t even fit the seals and let the axle oil lubricate the swivels!

Edited by Lightning