speedo drive gears

ive got a 1989 110 running 300tdi, r380 gearbox and 1.2 transfer box. 

speedo was reading faster than going and had 23 teeth so swapped for a blue 20 tooth drive gear. 

it has brought speedo closer to telling the truth but still showing 11% faster than actually travelling at and also putting 11% more miles on the clock too. 

any suggestions as dont think there is an alternative or do i need a new speedo head? 

thanks in advance 

Puma has the Blue 20T gear as well, though as it has an electronic speedo, the only reason it's the same is because there's no reason to change it.

There are (I think) 5 gears available, but 20T is the limit. 11% fast sounds about normal to me. Remember they all read fast as it's illegal for it to under-read, and there is some variation from unit to unit.

Easiest (but not cheap) option is to change to a Td5 speedo and reprogram it to read closer to the correct value.

3 hours ago, TSD said:

Puma has the Blue 20T gear as well, though as it has an electronic speedo, the only reason it's the same is because there's no reason to change it.

There are (I think) 5 gears available, but 20T is the limit. 11% fast sounds about normal to me. Remember they all read fast as it's illegal for it to under-read, and there is some variation from unit to unit.

Easiest (but not cheap) option is to change to a Td5 speedo and reprogram it to read closer to the correct value.

do you know for a link with how to do the td5 and programming 

Long thread here on reprogramming, but in short you need td5 speedo and sender unit, connectors for each, and cabling. Connect it all up and get it working as-is. Note how far out it is on the road.

If you want to do it yourself, you can reprogram the speedo using a raspberry pi computer. You need to open the speedo and attach a few wires, but that's as difficult as it gets.  If you're not up for that, I'm sure someone here will help out.

Edited by TSD
  • Like 1