Wheel Rims vs Tyre Choices

Hi Folks,

Unlikely to be a new topic. However, still getting my head around it, so some thoughts/direction would be useful.

Got a Defender 110 CSW 1996 with the original steel wheels. Believe that these are 5.5 inch width. Running on them 750/R16 Michelin Latitude Cross

Been trying to find winter tyres and/or all terrains which would fit on these rims.

Most choice seems to be center on 235/85/R16. However, recommendation (and perhaps legally), is to not fit these onto the original steel wheels as they are too wide. Rather go modular or wolf wheels.

So wondering if folk have managed to find/recommend winter tyres/all terrains which fit on the original 5.5 inch width steel rims? Or do most go for different wheel choice and/or just simply go with the 235/85/R16 on steels anyhow?

Thanks,

Simon...

On 2/19/2019 at 4:08 PM, neil110 said:

I ran 235/85 on standard rims for years, as did a couple of friends, no issues to report

Yep - me too - no issues.

I think 7.50s are the maximum width you're "supposed" to fit on 5.5" rims.

One the other hand, Wolf (HD) rims are a pretty cheap alternative.