Armchair diagnosis: snapcrankeritis

Ed Poore

What that it's forged?

I'd have said that the witness line through the centre of the lobe infers that it's more likely to be cast (albeit good quality since it's such a fine line). The grain structure doesn't look particularly coherent either (look top left of the break) which again to me would imply casting.

The picture below is a failed cast crank and to me the grain structure looks similar (poor photo above) but then again I'm no expert.

00781.jpg.caa9e8582bf4b34efa620a959449520f.jpg

There's often a balance weight on crank dampers - the need for this is even mentioned on the wikipedia page. Is this missing on the one you transferred? It's like a mini wheel balance weight. I find it hard to believe it could be enough to snap a crank, though. 

Anything obvious on close inspection of the flywheel? They're often balanced with holes drilled so nothing to fly off an affect the balance. Cracked or warped? If it were warped or running out of true axially due to a crack you'd not feel any radial vibrations, but it would stress the crank quite seriously.

Edit: That looks like a casting to me too. Forged for comparison: https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=112689

Edited by lo-fi
Crossed posts