UK MOT compliant LED headlights

On 6/27/2020 at 1:14 PM, neil110 said:

If you cannot see where you are going with the standard headlights, it might be worth having your eyes checked for any possible problems which might cause this difficulty.

Whilst the standard headlights might not be as bright as the latest laser cannons fitted to a lot of modern cars they were/are perfectly acceptable for night time driving along roads which are not streetlit

If there isn't anything with modern headlights coming the other way - after which you're night blind for a while even if you take care not to look directly at the other lights.

I have the same Trucklites as Mike and Jon. Jon's comments are spot on - they take a bit of getting used to initially as its black directly in front of the vehicle because, like Jon says, the beam doesnt seem to start until 10ft away. Its absolutely fine as you aren't looking in the space ten feet in front of the vehicle, but takes some getting used to! The light is different to halogen and initially I really didnt like it. Its a cold blue light, not the warmer yellow of halogen and on some road surfaces and particularly at dusk it can feel like you dont have headlights on, but you can see, so they are clearly on! Its hard to explain, but its a colour/wavelength thing I think (mixed with my OCD!)

I thought they had stopped making the old model of lights that I have now and that the current ones all have filaments to heat the lens. Mine do ice up in the snow - given I was driving through the middle of the red zone in the south west when the beast from the east hit and then the snow later that season and the following year, it was a bit of a pain, but I just had to stop every so often and clear the headlamps. It gave me a chance to clear the snow from the wiper blades etc at the same time, so not the end of the world given the frequency we have those conditions in the south of the UK! 

Edit - forgot to add - I got mine from Nakatanenga and their prices were pretty good at the time even though they were imported so worth looking there.

Edited by reb78

Would anyone with the Trucklites be willing to post a photo of them fitted? I've been weighing this up for 6 months as all of my lighting is LED and I like the idea of lower power draw on the notorious headlight wiring (I have a Boomslang kit before we all knew how bad they were) so this might be another safety measure as well as the other benefits.

I hate almost every LED headlight's looks, but the Trucklite looks near standard, I just want to see them on  'normal', working trucks and not the handbags that my searches come back with so I can make up my mind.

No - they don't look *that* different to the wipac crystal lights, they certainly don't stand right out like the ones with the big bug eyes like the JW Speaker.

They look different lit up - obviously the colour temp of the light is different, and on dip only half lights up - one half is low beam, the other half high. There's also 2 LEDs in the middle bar which can be used as DRLs, but I've never bothered..

It's the JWs I'm avoiding, that 'eye' look just doesn't sit well on the car and DRLs on Defenders is just odd so won't be wiring those in. I'm not worried about the lit-up state as I'm not going to be looking at it at night, that's everyone else's problem!

Justifying £300 over a set of Wipacs with upgraded bulbs is the sticking point, so these will need to be really good headlights but not having melted wiring, conserving battery and similar/increased output would make that justifiable. Especially as upgraded bulbs come at a cost to all those things.