Advice required on selling a Series

sotal

Due to time among other things, I think the time has come to sell the Series. It hasn't moved much in the last 10 years. Since kids came along there just hasn't been time.

What makes it tricky to sell is that it's a bit of a bitsa.

It was originally a Series 2A but as bits rotted away - they were replaced with donor parts from a series 3. It went through a few different reincarnations. It was a van, now it is a pickup.

It isn't driveable at the moment, it could probably move if it will start up but the fuel will be old etc.

The last job I did was to rebuild the gearbox with new bearings etc. The gearbox job was documented on landrovernet but that site doesn't seem to exist any more - I might have posted some photos here too? I put the gearbox into the landrover and tested it up and down the road, but then never got any further - my daughter was born and that was it! I haven't even finished putting the floor back in after!

Faults I know it has

• nearside axle seal leaking
  • nearside front tyre perished (Spare wheel has an OK looking tyre on it though)
  • Front floor needs riveting down.
  • Seats need bolting in.
  • Boot floor support bars need replacing 

As far as I see it, I'm left with two options,

The first is to break it for parts slowly and sell them online, eventually scrapping anything that doesn't sell. Lack of time means this really might end up as a slow job!

The second option is to sell it as spare parts.

I think given the fact that it has become quite a mixture of parts over the years that it would be immoral to sell as a complete vehicle - do you agree? I'm not sure I can easily prove what is original and what has been replaced.

Would appreciate people's thoughts on this, the wife wants me to just scrap it but it seems such a shame!

Sounds like a regular everyday Land Rover:), there are very few 'as original' series out there and yours is in no way unusual. You are very honest about the nature of it, which is more than many. The condition will bereflected in the price and that is all. Sell it complete, it should sell easily enough.

Yep, somebody will love it. Either to finish putting it back together as is and enjoy it, or start sourcing the "correct" 2a bits and get all rivet counter - I suspect the former. Either way it would be a shame to break a solid series and it's far less hassle for you!

Keep it, you will regret selling it. 

All the vulnerable bits can be sprayed with dynax 50, to stop rot, then you can slowly finish it.

The time with kids goes faster than you can believe, so you are right to focus on them, but kids do love series vehicles, even my eldest, who has his own car, can't wait until the insurance on the 109 is affordable.

I've got some many other projects in mind for when the kids grow up. We loved the series and used it for a good few years both off road and I used to use it for the of drive to work. It was good fun whilst it lasted but I need the space. We are planning some building work this year and the space will be needed.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll list it on eBay in a couple of weeks. I'll be as honest as possible and see what happens. I think I'll be looking for a minimum of £800 does that sound fair?

Also would you try and get it running or leave it alone? I know the fuel will be old in the tank, the battery will be dead and from sitting in it today the clutch seems to be sticking!

Very hard to guess value without pictures.

I'd say it's well worth getting it running and driving if at all possible, fills buyers with a lot more confidence that there's not too much wrong with it - if nothing else it makes getting it on a trailer easier! Even if you have to jump it to get it running it's then "only" a new battery problem not unknown engine trouble.

My advice for eBay is take as many good clear pictures as you can, including the bad points so people can see you're being honest, and write as much description and history as you can - words are free and so are the 1st 12 pictures :P

Mind you, last time I tried to sell a car via eBay I got f***ed about numerous times, got the ar5e and listed it on AutoTrader where it sold almost instantly with no hassle!

Had another poke round it today. I went underneath and had a good look around. The chassis seems solid everywhere. Went round it with a little hammer. As I say seems solid all round. 

Engine, thought I'd best turn it over by hand first, that went well. Then hooked it up to the other car too give it a jump start but couldn't get enough juice to start it. It turns over but I need a bit more to actually get it going. I've got heavy duty leads (lorry leads) but even they started smoking after a bit of trying!

The battery on the land rover is as dead as can be, I'm guessing if that was a decent battery, then with a jump as well it would get going.

So none of that seems disastrous, but the clutch pedal seems to have seized completely, and that's a job I haven't really got time to sort.

I haven't really got much more time to spend on it so I think it is time to sell.

A tax exempt project can be worth a bit. I brought mine needing a lot more work for £400 8 years ago and prices have shot up since defender production ended.

is it lwb or swb as I may have a friend interested 

Thanks 

Jon