Sidewall damage

dred90

I'm currently running a set of 255/85/16 BFG mud's on mach 5 wheels, couple of them have suffered sidewall damage from offroading, one of them is still tubeless and beginning to leak. Obviously if i whack a tube in there this will fix the problem, but it got me thinking - should I really look at replacing the whole tyre bearing in mind I occasionally have to travel long distance at motorway speeds, putting a lot of stress on the tyre. Would like to keep using the tyre if I can as theres loads of tread on it. What's the best thing to do??

I'm currently running a set of 255/85/16 BFG mud's on mach 5 wheels, couple of them have suffered sidewall damage from offroading, one of them is still tubeless and beginning to leak. Obviously if i whack a tube in there this will fix the problem, but it got me thinking - should I really look at replacing the whole tyre bearing in mind I occasionally have to travel long distance at motorway speeds, putting a lot of stress on the tyre. Would like to keep using the tyre if I can as theres loads of tread on it. What's the best thing to do??

Replace it.

Tubes don't have any strength, they rely on the cover. A weakness in the cover means a weak tyre that could disintegrate.

Remove the tyre, slash it so it is obviously damaged to stop an unscrupulous person selling it on to an unsuspecting customer.

bin is the sensible answer, but then my spare has a sidewall puncture sealed with a P40 mixer plate vulcanised to the inside & then tubed. its survived several motorway trips or 3-4hours. not great for safety i know, however ive had a tube pop in a rear tyre doing 65-70mph - all that happened was a clunk as the rim hit the floor & it dragged left a bit. wasnt hard to control when i pulled over to replace it. front could be more interesting though.

Not the PC answer everyone else is giving here, but if the cords are not damaged and it's just rubber thats damaged, i'd take it to a professional vulcaniser and have it repaired. I've had this done to a set of Dirt devils that had some quite severe looking splits in the sidewalls, but no cord damage. They were repaired by proper vulcanising and it only cost £30 for 2 tyres. They are still alive and well on another vehicle with no apparent problems. I know its another risk to take, but i've seen virtually brand new tyres disintergrate on the motor was no reason. This is only my personal opinion.

"Bin it "is of course the PC answer as mentioned before by others.

It is quite amazing though the repairs that the some of the skilled Turkish tyre repairers (called Lastikçi) can do!!

However whether the repair would get you through the British MOT and whether I would actually entrust my life to the repaired tyres is a totally different matter...!!!

Steve

If a tyre has such a deep cut in it that it leaks, then it's beyond help and should be thrown away.

The other might be ok to be kept as a spare, or at the very least fitted to the rear or the vehicle, where sudden deflation is less dangerous.

MOT specifications are different between new and re-tread tyres.

Sidewall damage where the carcass can be seen, but not damaged, is ok within limitations on a retread tyre, as is perishing. but a new tyre will fail on the same thing (or at least it should).

It might be worth mentioning that the carcass cannot be repaired. Vulcanising is a repair to the rubber only.

Les. :)

My BFGs also show damage to the side-walls but they have been checked very thoroughly at the MOT and passed. Cuts into the rubber are a normal part of off-road use and, as long as they are not deep (down to the cords is pretty deep!) they are fine, no worse that bits of tread rubber missing - as said, the strength of the tyre is in the carcass. It is worth checking them very thoroughly and regularly to be sure that there is no potentially dangerous damage, i.e. to the cords that make up the carcass of the tyre.

Have a search of the forum for leaking tyre beads on BFGs, it seems pretty popular and is more likely to be the problem with yours. See leaking Matt Lee rims for a potential culprit too. If you want to find your leak, apply a weak solution of washing-up liquid about the tyres, beads and wheel spokes, any leak will show up with a stream of bubbles. Bet you yours is the mud in the bead syndrome.

If you decide to junk the tyres, I'll have them for my trailer. ;)

Chris

Have a search of the forum for leaking tyre beads on BFGs, it seems pretty popular and is more likely to be the problem with yours. See leaking Matt Lee rims for a potential culprit too. If you want to find your leak, apply a weak solution of washing-up liquid about the tyres, beads and wheel spokes, any leak will show up with a stream of bubbles. Bet you yours is the mud in the bead syndrome.

If you decide to junk the tyres, I'll have them for my trailer. ;)

Chris

yes the mach 5's / leaking beads can definitely be a problem with this setup, but this is more a case of 32 psi to 0 psi in less than a mile.. have had one fixed (spare) and will get a new one from paddocks 89+vat (anyone know of a better price). may try and fix the other, if not you're welcome to it Chris

cheers for all the info guys..