MOT testing hammer

Sharp

Just a quick question for the MOT gurus on here. Is it acceptable for an MOT tester to use a hammer other than the small MOT hammer that's made for testing corrosion. I'm only asking out of curiosity as after my last MOT there were about half a dozen imprints of a hammer head quite a bit bigger than that on the bottom of the chassis rails, all in one place on each side. It's quite solid where he chose to hit so nothing went through but it looked like he'd let out a fair bit of anger on it.

If he used a hammer then the guy is an animal and needs to be reported to VOSA and his MOT certification revoked. No-one would treat my vehicle like that and get away with it, he's caused damage, I hope you didn't pay the testing fee. There are official tools to be used for MOT and guidelines on how they are to be used. I would be looking to take the matter further 

The mechanic I employ to sort anything out with my Defender also sorts out the MOT, he does a pre-inspection and rectifies any evident issues and then takes vehicles to an MOT centre. On one occasion after my Defender came back from this test centre the normally perfectly black painted rear crossmember had deep cross hatched gouges out of the paint down to the bare metal, that caused a bit of a row.  

10 hours ago, Farmerfred said:

Why are there so many pad marks? 7, that means they lifted it 7 times, why? Did they forget to inspect the underside components 6 times? That would be the very last time I used that MOT centre!

I've since stopped going to that garage anyway. They used to be good but they've gone all high tech and charging dealership prices now but the workmanship doesn't match the prices. I think they've had enough of old cars anyway! They quoted my partner £420 last week for a ball joint, two drop links, 4 bulbs and a headlight polish. I did question it and the receptionist told me that was actually quite cheap!

15 hours ago, Farmerfred said:

Why are there so many pad marks? 7, that means they lifted it 7 times, why? Did they forget to inspect the underside components 6 times? That would be the very last time I used that MOT centre!

looks like the pattern of the pad rather than being lifted 7 times

• Like 1

I've never seen a 4 leg  lift with that pattern pad on each, they normally have a cup like that on a jack arm and the depth of the marks are caused by something metallic more than a rubber pad! £420 for a few joints, bulbs and a tube of toothpaste and some elbow grease to polish your lights?, rubbish, they're a complete rip off, you could buy what was needed and do the job yourself for less than £40.

An MOT centre local to me that I used a few times introduced a coupon, printed in our local parish magazine, cut it out and present it at the time of your test and get 25% off. People were complaining that even with the coupon the parts requirements needed to pass the test seemed rather excessive, we can all guess what was going on there! I presented the coupon AFTER they carried out the test and they had to then adjust the invoice and knock off the 25%. They tried their hardest to squirm out of doing so but they couldn't get out of it, they were on the make. The coupon dissapeared after I sussed them out. 

That's the problem with some MOT centres, they can invent problems so I would strongly advise everyone to have a pre- MOT check beforehand.

12 hours ago, Farmerfred said:

I've never seen a 4 leg  lift with that pattern pad on each, they normally have a cup like that on a jack arm and the depth of the marks are caused by something metallic more than a rubber pad!

the rubber pads i was looking at on a friends 4 post ramp have a dotted pattern,

infact

https://www.rampspares.com/product-category/garage_lift_pads/

PBP0020-274x293.jpg

On 2/26/2019 at 7:43 AM, Sharp said:

I've since stopped going to that garage anyway. They used to be good but they've gone all high tech and charging dealership prices now but the workmanship doesn't match the prices. I think they've had enough of old cars anyway! They quoted my partner £420 last week for a ball joint, two drop links, 4 bulbs and a headlight polish. I did question it and the receptionist told me that was actually quite cheap!

in regards to the price without saying what car it was for, it doesnt really give an indication if it was dear or not,

15 hours ago, Farmerfred said:

£420 for a few joints, bulbs and a tube of toothpaste and some elbow grease to polish your lights?, rubbish, they're a complete rip off, you could buy what was needed and do the job yourself for less than £40.

without knowing what the vehicle is your making some bloody good assumptions

It was for a 2005 subaru outback, i didn't get an itemised quote so I don't know how they worked out the bill. The parts cost me just shy of £60 from a local independent parts shop and took a couple of hours including polishing the head light. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know what kind of time gets specified for these kinds of jobs but I can't see how it would have taken them that long with a lift and workshop tools.

• Like 1

That means they charged you around £100 an hour for the labour. I would most definitely of gone back to them and contest the charge, you know what the parts cost so it's a no brainer that you were ripped off on the labour charge. A local garage close to me used to be a bit like that, the mechanic would be working on your car and when someone drew up to the pumps he would drop what he was doing to your vehicle and go serve petrol and being in the middle of town he would be serving fuel many times over the day. Whenever I was presented with a Bill I would knock of so much for the time he was serving fuel and not working on my car.

To be fair to them they may have been quoting me for genuine subaru parts, which knowing subaru could well have been double. I've never been to a dealership before but I imagine they are just charging the same sort of prices as a dealer would, in other words it's just not a place for old rusty bangers any more.