300 TDI Timing Troubles

Cbkearney

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum, but not Rovers. I am replacing the timing belt on my 300 TDI that was out of a discovery and now in my Range Rover. It has the R380 manual in it. I have the kit and tools for refitting the timing belt from Bearmach, as well as, the tools for timing the FIP. It looks like the crank sprocket was replaced with the lipped one at some point.

In trying to time the motor to replace the belt and and the front seal of the FIP, I have noticed there are no slots machined into the flywheel visible through the wading plug hole, only a machined "X". My questions are as follows: 

1) Why are there no slots visible?

2) Can I proceed without locking the flywheel? What to I need to do to ensure that the timing remains accurate?

3) How do I remedy the problem at the flywheel, short of removing the motor and transmission? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

I don't know why you seem to have a flywheel with no slot in it allowing you to lock it. Have you tried to lock it incase it is matter of you just not being able to see the slot?

I used to have a 300Tdi in my 110 that was fitted to the LT77 so when I changed the belt I didn't lock the crank shaft. I just did 2 things: (1)Once the timing cover was removed, used the key way in the crank as my marker for the timing and was very careful not to allow the crankshaft to move once the old belt was off. (2) once the new belt was in place and tensioned, turned the engine slowly and carefully by hand a few revolutions then rechecked the position of the FIP and cam sprockets to ensure nothing had moved out of time.

If the original belt is still on, and assuming it ran ok, just rotate the engine till the pump locking pin will slide in through the FIP pulley and swap the belt.

In this position check up through the wading hole for the slot - it may be a few degrees out so (with locking pin removed) rotate the crank forward and back a bit and you may find it.

If someone has done something to the flywheel and there's no slot and you already have the old belt off, you'll  need to take #1 glow plug out, rotate the engine till #1 cylinder is on its compression stroke (both valves fully closed), put some stiff wire or thin rod down the glow plug hole and rotate the engine till you can feel the piston at tdc - then go looking for the flywheel slot again. If you still can't find the slot this should be close enough for you to fit the belt anyway - just make sure you slacken the three lock bolts on the FIP pulley before you fit the belt and centralise the pulley in the slots so you have some adjustment on the timing. 

14 minutes ago, dailysleaze said:

Also, the flywheel can be 180 degrees out when the pump is locked, so give it another rotation and check again to be sure.

You need to align a mark on the camshaft pulley with a pointer on the cam belt rear casing. Note the line on the cam pulley needs to be adjacent, and in line with the pointer. (Check it with a mirror if you still have the radiator and grill in place).

The slot in the flywheel should then be positioned above the wading plug hole. 

drop in the locking pin (or a 9mm drill bit) when the woodruff key on the crank points up. I don't have the hole in the bell house to lock the crank, but I have done more cambelt changes on my landy than I care to remember, so it is no issue.

Daan