Sign in to follow this  
Farmerfred

Cracked Windscreen

My Brothers 2000 (W reg) Discovery TD5 has developed, or should I say suffered, a cracked windscreen, this apparently is a very common problem with these, the cause being corrosion in the pillars distorting the glass and causing pressure that results in the windscreen cracking. This one is cracked in the bottom drivers side, runs up at a 30 degree angle and across towards the centre for about 7 inches, luckily it does not leak. To renmedy the cause the rust will have to be eliminated and the pillar made good before a new screen can be fitted. Anyone else had this problem?

Not had that problm but on two TD5's I have owned I have had a problem with the wiper motor mounting plate severely rusting to the point that the wiper motor doesn't move the blades but rotates insitu. This has then broken thewindscreen at the bottom which then causes the screen to crack radially from the wiper motor damage.