PAS box bottom seal

RGK

Help!

I've recon'd a PAS box...We'll new seals, cleaned put it back together thought I did a pretty good job.

Refit, bleed and ran in (stationary on axle stands,  lock to lock) worked perfectly.

However once on the deck I tested the steering then notice fluid on the floor.

The bottom seal leak/ pours out only on right hand steering/ lock.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks

Edited by RGK

If the area where the seal contacts the shaft is damaged / worn / you will have difficulty making a leak proof seal even with genuine parts. Both my 90 and my discovery II leaked like sieves with genuine seals.  After fitting Zeus seals both steering boxes are sorted. I believe that the Zeus kit seals to a different area of the shaft avoiding the damaged / worn areas.  

Bloody tight fit to get the Zeus seals in though!

as to why it only leaks at full right lock, I would guess that the pump is producing maximum pressure on full lock - both at full left and full right. Not sure why it’s OK without weight on the wheels...

15 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

What was wrong with it before you reconditioned it ? And did you loosen any bolts on it or take anything apart ? 

I took the whole thing apart and cleaned.

The bottom seal was leaking before hand.

I’m no expert on this but could it be that the shaft is tilting when on full lock , and I think I remember reading somewhere that the big screw on the side of the box with the grub screw under it if tightened takes the play out of the shaft , might be total rubbish but could be a possibility.

I spoke to the parts supplier yesterday and their technical person.

2 responses:

1st via sales...

"We has lots of instance of this seal failing. One guy tried it 4 times before giving up."

2nd technical...

"The plastic/ rubber seal can create hair line mark on the shaft that van course failure when under high pressure"

52 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

I’m no expert on this but could it be that the shaft is tilting when on full lock , and I think I remember reading somewhere that the big screw on the side of the box with the grub screw under it if tightened takes the play out of the shaft , might be total rubbish but could be a possibility.

That makes sense. I'll adjust it and let you know.