Series 2a clutch

Slick74

Hi

I've got a series 2a which someone has started restoring. It's got a 2.25 diesel engine in with the 2a gearbox.

I cannot get the clutch to disengage, the release bearing mechanism is about an inch off the clutch cover so everything bottoms out before the bearing touches the cover.

I've removed the clutch cover which was 9.5 inch  and fitted a 9 inch cover and plate but it's still the same.imageproxy.php?img=&key=9400f925d91862ba

Any ideas?

Cannot get photos of clutches to upload.

9.5 inch was finger type cover and 9 inch coil spring type cover

Thanks

Paulimageproxy.php?img=&key=9400f925d91862ba

Screenshot_20190225-202505.png

IMG_20190225_174427014.jpg

Edited by Slick74
Photos wouldn't upload initially

Check the flexi hose that goes between the cylinders. My clutch wouldn't return correctly, it would take 10 seconds or more, the flexi pipe had corroded and fallen apart inside itself your leg has the strength to force the fluid through but clutch doesn't on way back up 

The diaphragm cover is series 3 in your lower pic  , the 2/2A version of this type has a steel spacer ring fitted to the centre of the fingers . The 3 fingered cover using coil springs for grip pressure should be a different height from the pressure face to the release side of the  3 fingers compared to the diaphragm spring release side

cheers

Steve b  

Thanks Steve, I take it I may need a diaphragm type with spacer then? As currently with the top one fitted there's around an inch gap so release bearing isn't sitting close to the cover, or should the top one work also? I can't see any issues with the slave cylinder or crossbar that moves the release bearing.

The 3 finger style is normally Series 2/2A , but the only way to check both is to bolt them to the flywheel with the centre plate and measure the finger/diaphragm heights relative to the flywheel housing . The S2 should be higher , from memory it's about 1/2" . Are you sure the two cross pins in the release shaft assy. are good ? they do hide in the rubber boot , finally , is the push-rod on the m/c set with minimal clearance (pedal fully up )?

cheers

Steve b  

Thanks all

Initially I couldn't get clutch pedal to work, found out the master cylinder was piped up wrong way round.

Sorted that then found that release bearing wasn't moving, removed engine and found the pins missing in the cross shaft, fitted them and refitted engine. Then clutch wouldn't disengage, removed engine again and removed the bottom clutch and fitted the top but still doesn't work.

I don't recall seeing a spacer on the slave cylinder, I'll take a look.

I'll also check m/c settings but the release bearing is virtually fully out before it touches the cover plate.

What is the part no for the 3 finger cover you fitted ?

The spacer isn't a standard part I think , probably an adaption to fit a S3 slave maybe ?

1 hour ago, steve b said:

the only way to check both is to bolt them to the flywheel with the centre plate and measure the finger/diaphragm heights relative to the flywheel housing . The S2 should be higher , from memory it's about 1/2"

I have my doubts about the fitted finger height , it's not unheard of for old parts to be patterned to later specs.

Steve

It was a second hand cover a friend gave me as he thought that's what should be fitted, I didn't realise there were three types of covers or I could of measured the depth before refitting engine. I take it that there is nothing between the cover and the clutch release? My box is same as the picture David posted above in bellhousing rather than the usual clutch release bearing.

It does sound like the three finger coil spring cover could be an early S3 . Pop the engine out and measure the two , everything looks to be in order from what you have said, some pic's of the LandRover would be nice , we do love a Series :)

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

That's the 2a on the lifts and a 3 under it. Bought the 3 and fitted a new chassis to it,  then came across the 2a and thought that would be an easy one to finish! 

I'll pull the engine back out again and measure the clutch heights.

Cheers

Paul

Screenshot_20190227-062218.png

IMG_20190223_151416304.jpg