Tax exemption

Stellaghost

Hi All

So a couple of years ago I looked into getting my lightweight tax exempt got as far as finding out from British Heritage that my vehicle is 1973 vintage this was via an e mail have not as yet applied for proper certificate. The lightweight is also on a Q plate. It is my understanding that this can also be exchanged for an age related number plate. I would be gratefully if anyone could shed some light on the process as it is today in achieving tax exemption. Thanks in advance

Regards Stephen

This might help, I know they have recently re-introduced the rolling historical vehicle exemption as 40 years+:

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/apply-for-vehicle-tax-exemption

Hope this isn't stuff you already know.

You will need the plate change and DVLA to agree its over 40 .Then you simply go to Post Office, apply for tax class change to VHI , you will pay tax at that point, but as soon as its confirmed as VHI you will get a refund.

If it remains on a Q it will not be eligible for MOT exemption.is my understanding

44 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd wonder why it's on a Q plate if it's original it should have an age-related plate

Used to be quite common for ex-military stuff. AFAIR it just meant the original build date hadn't been established, and the new owner just wanted to put it on the road with least hassle.

My understanding is that quite a few ex military vehicles did go on Q plates assuming a shortage of age related plates due to the amount of military vehicles released into civvy street at the time but that would be a guess I will enquire via Gaydon and see what happens

• 2 months later...

With the current climate at DVLA you are stuck with the Q plate and all that goes with it.

When Qs were originally introduced it was because DVLA were not 100% certain of the age (nothing to do with availablility).  Within 12 months of registering. if you were the person who registered it and you could provide documentation (not a heritage certificate) you could apply for an age related registration.

However DVLA got very lax and anyone who had a Q reg who could provide the proof of age would get an age relate plate.

About 2 years ago DVLA tightened this up again and decided to apply the rule to the letter (along with a few other things that affect vehicles not on their database such as no stamped in number on the chassis no registration).  I have a copy of the letter that they sent out to all car clubs.

They are apply ing the Q plate rule rigidly.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I think I perhaps made an error in saying all car clubs.  I will try to find it but as far as I know it was only sent to clubs that are authorised by DVLA under the V765 scheme to inspect vehicles.

Peter

Edited by Romahomepete