Brass filings in R380 oil change..

Hi All

I have just changed the oil in the R380 gearbox and I'm embarrassed to say it was left too long (about 55 KM/34 Miles). But I need to be honest, and someone might learn from my mistakes. And the oil had emulsified into a pale smelly liquid after failing to replace oil after some river crossings about 30KM ago). I know not good... I've given myself a good telling off!

Anyway, to make matters worst there were brass filings in the oil. See attached photo. I would like to say that was all of it, but it was only a small part of the filings I got out of the gearbox. I expect this emulfisfied oil has acted as a cutting agent rather than a lubricant?

I'm very keen to hear everyone's opinion on whether this vehicle should be driven at all, or if I can carry on for the time being and reassess in XX miles/kms? (Yes fresh oil in there now!) Thank you!

IMG_7613.jpg

IMG_7623.jpg

Change the oil with cheap ATF,  drive it for a couple of days to flush it, if it's working ok, changing gear allright and not making a racket then drain again and refill with mtf/redline or whatever your choice is.    It will probably be fine.

(Just read again and noted you already put fresh oil in - drain a sample out and see how it looks now, if it's still got filings change again, otherwise if its clear you might be ok)

Edited by Eightpot

Thanks eightpot and western for your comments/advice. Very much appreciated. It was driving OK prior to the oil change. no unusual noises etc. Very occasionally it didn't want to get into gear - I forget which one as it happened so rarely. I'll check an oil sample and find out what parts could be wearing. Thanks again 👍

• Like 1