How to make / fold this lifting roof section ?

I hope some of you can help me as here in France I'm running into problems making the lifting roof for the 110

The nice people of Whitbread4x4 were nice enouogh to make this cage to my spec and now it is up to me to eventually cut open the roof for the lifting section between the B and the D Hoop. Below some pictures to give you an idea - the hole in the roof is not in mine....

image.png.8cbb3e29f67889f9e1f15e86f194fe63.png

Roughly 185 by 112 cm. for the lifting roof on the outside

image.png.94b8bb00667054a87ca4ab95e8053dc7.png

The opening in the roof needs to be a bit smaller obviously to allow for struts, fabric, etc..

image.png.edb66f178039bf39ec18783a55a88faf.png

There is about 10 cm. height for the lifting roof itself to make it sit inside and under the top of the cage

image.png.b8cc31ca177f58a62c9e78f9cbb77fb7.png

When up (about 65 cm.) it will give me standing height and a lot of comfort en route

image.png.88ae6e9f485e01701e461ae408b9976c.png

It makes a lot of difference and I think well worth the effort. Sleeping inside and sitting upright or standing while cooking is so much nicer when away from home for a long time... Now, the problem I have that getting the roof "folded & welded" here in France will cause me to take out a mortgage and really, that is something I rather not do.

The lifting roof part does not need to be strong enough to stand on - just on the "inside" a few additional profiles need to be welded in for the struts, fabric, etc. Insulation will be glued in once it build. In case I bring a passenger, I have a Brownchurch roofrack with a Hardshell RTT that sits on the roll cage and should not touch the lifting roof section.

And before you mention polyester or the likes, they are not what I like.

So, is it possible to fold the roof myself without the use of some big fancy machine ?

What I need is a " How to fold 2 mm. aluminium for Dummies guide" really...

The welding of the seams etc. seems to be sorted..

Thank You !

I folded the roof section on the ibex using two bits of wood clamped either side of the fold line. You can then bend the majority by hand and hammering the last bit or by starting it by hand then clamping a third bit of wood over the bit your folding onto the internal bit of wood. Hardwood is better or angle/box section. You sometimes need to over bend a little to get your desired angle. The corners can be done with a flap folded in first (cardboard box style) which can then be riveted, glued (PU adhesive) or bolted and then sealed. I would rivet and glue an aluminium angle to the underside of the hole with it sticking upwards. Then make the roof section as above but big enough to fit over your upstand with more angle or a return fold on the roof. You can fit a door style seal on this return both tidying this edge and leaving a neat line outside with a hidden seal.

Mike

• Like 1

If you were in the UK I'd say find a chap with a metal folder (I might know a man, in fact), even relatively standard industrial ones would do 1.8m folds in thin stuff quite happily... however I've no idea if you're near such civilisation or wood & hammers is going to be the way forward.

Thanks Mike - that is really what this Dummy needs to see...

@ FridgeFreezer : Thanks - that is the problem here. Liability etc. is a major problem for one offs and in general nobody want to touch this kind of projects.

.... don't get me started on the hydraulics for the Cherry Picker......

Are you required to use metal? Could you use fibreglass, or marine ply? Or a combination?

Plastic with reinforced areas is also an option.

Fibreglass is the last of the materials I'd like to use for this roof.

Although I'm quite aware it could make the fabrication less difficult I'd like to use aluminium for several reasons. One is that I have had some very bad experiences with fibreglass in boats, cars and caravans...

Obviously, using flat sheets bolted together is an option but only as a last resort - waterproofness is a good reason to try and make the "lid" in 1 piece...

I have done some testing for DIY folding for a overhead radio console and so far not too bad...

Thanks !!

Fibreglass is where I would probably go if it were mine but I'm in the trade. The down side to fibreglass in this application is you either need to make a temporary mould or you sheath a thin ply frame. Both are time consuming and require additional materials. A folded aluminium structure can be made strong and watertight relatively easily.

It might be worth making a steel/aluminium frame then skinning it with sheet.  That way you have something to attach hinges/gas springs to and allow you to stiffen the flat section to stop drumming. The skin could be glued on with PU adhesive to stop electrolysis and eliminate the need for fixings.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

On 3/3/2019 at 9:22 PM, Arjan said:

@ FridgeFreezer : Thanks - that is the problem here. Liability etc. is a major problem for one offs and in general nobody want to touch this kind of projects.

I was thinking more of finding a local fabricator and paying some beer money (or should that be wine money?) for a quick go on their folder, hard to see how putting 4 folds in a sheet of ali could incur any great risks?

".. hard to see how putting 4 folds in a sheet of ali could incur any great risks .."

You and me don't.....

However, here in France everything is different.

5 miles down the road there is a company who makes one of thing in fibreglass. As in : huge wales, statues, you name it, they'll make it so I assumed getting a shoe box made should be easy.

Not really - not in this life...

Oh well..

Thank you for the kind offer.
It seems that I'll be in the UK at the LATP event with the 88 Hybrid, other than that there are no Raid planned.

Brexit will make it different taking goods across - and we're very busy this year.

Work gets so much in the way of nice things...

Just let me know Arjan :).

Just now, Arjan said:

Thank you for the kind offer.
It seems that I'll be in the UK at the LATP event with the 88 Hybrid, other than that there are no Raid planned.

Brexit will make it different taking goods across - and we're very busy this year.

Work gets so much in the way of nice things...

Doesn't it just :( 

Obviously, many different materials could be used..

However, roof being aluminium the idea is that perhaps building the rest from aluminium, too, makes sort of sense..

I think.

Can't you anneal the ali first before making the bend? Should make it a lot easier and less prone to cracking too.

Also, when contacting firms to make stuff, don't ever mention it's going to come near a vehicle. If they ask what it's for, say a roof for your shed or something...

I'll give that a try - it seems that different aluminum reacts differently to heat..

French don't care what it is for - they just don't want to know..

The French themselves complain about it, too...

Hi Arjan

What size do you need I have a piece of folded and welded aluminium ( obviously this is a total long shot ) measuring 1.2m x 1.8m x 100mm around 3mm thick see photo you can have it FOC the only problem being getting it to you if it is suitable I guess some sort of forum relay would need to happen although this is a moot point if sizes are no good

Regards Stephen

IMG_20190305_1954331_rewind.jpgMight not be too long a shot just noticed the sizes you posted

Edited by Stellaghost
Addition