Help - Power Assisted Steering System(PAS) DEFENDER 300 TDI

slon4eto

Hi everyone, I have the following question about Power Assisted Steering System on my DEFENDER 110 300 TDI:

If I am out in the wild offroading far away from any village or city and if it happens that either the power steering pump is damaged or the power steering pipes (hoses) are damaged or start leaking will I be able to  turn the wheel and drive my Landy until I reach the nearest settlement where I could have help?

Have anyone from you ever been in this or a similar situation and what is your experience?

Every response is appreciated because it will help me to be ready if this occurs to me.

Thank you

Yes it'll still steer But the feel will be very heavy, you will have to put a lot of effort in, even more than if the steering was the basic manual non PAS type. 

you will most definitely feel the difference.

my pump spat its guts out about 20 years ago, glad I only had about 3 miles to get it back home.

Replace the hydraulic hoses and, if you really worry, the pump if it is old.

We have in the past had hydraulic hoses go but usu. we were able to solve this with local help. The pressure is not enormous and most places that do tractors etc. can work something out to get you home.

The better condition the vehicle is, the less weight is carries one usually has the least problems.

BTW - must really come to your beautiful country again to enjoy the scenery - just awesome !

Apart from being very heavy the steering itself won’t be a problem. The bigger issue is likely to be the pump.

If the pump fails, or even if a hose fails and you lose the fluid, you won’t be able to run the engine for long as the pump is on the same belt as everything else.

Not sure if it can be bypassed somehow on the 300Tdi. I know on a 200Tdi you can just take the PAS belt off and run without. 

A friend had your proposed problem on holiday in france/Italy. The pump failed on the way down this resulted in very heavy steering but drivable. What we didn't realise at the time was the pump shaft had sheared. So around 1000 miles later the pulley made a bid for freedom going into the radiator on the way out. We reckoned we could get the pulleys spinning with string or similar however it split the radiator. We towed it home the remaining 1000 miles.

Mike

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, slon4eto said:

Hi everyone, I have the following question about Power Assisted Steering System on my DEFENDER 110 300 TDI:

If I am out in the wild offroading far away from any village or city and if it happens that either the power steering pump is damaged or the power steering pipes (hoses) are damaged or start leaking will I be able to  turn the wheel and drive my Landy until I reach the nearest settlement where I could have help?

Have anyone from you ever been in this or a similar situation and what is your experience?

Every response is appreciated because it will help me to be ready if this occurs to me.

Thank you

A spare pump is small enough to carry as a spare. I am not sure what the prices of LR spares are in your country, but in South Africa spares are rather expensive, so one cannot carry as many spares as one would like, but I do carry a power steering spare pump with (well, it is an old pump that I swopped for a new pump, as a matter of recourse)

What I would recommend, is that you look at the routing of the pipes, and make sure that they do not chaff against anything. On my D1 I had a hole in a pipe where the pipe rested in a bracket. When I fitted new pipes, I put two small split rubber hoses on the pipes so that the metal portions could not chaff through on the bracket. I did not put the complete metal portion in a split rubber pipe, as I suspect that the pipe offers some cooling to the power station fluid