Sign in to follow this  
dave88sw

LT77 to R380 conversion

Hi,

I'm thinking of changing the LT77 in my 110 to an R380 (It's currently a NA with LT77 and 1.6 transfer).  I can get hold of a 1.4 transfer, R380 and 300TDI.  I've done a few engine conversions before, that part of it is fine but i'm not sure on the best course to take with the gearbox.

Most people seem to suggest putting the whole lot in the later standard position, which I believe is slightly forward of where the original drivetrain was mounted (If we use the transfer box as a reference point, apparently the whole lot sits about 40mm further forward).  This would mean changing the props to 300 type.  Is it possible to leave the transfer box in the standard position and just push the engine forward to account for the longer bellhousing?  I've found no definitive answer to that but a few comments that it means you can't use standard hoses (not too fussed about that, i'd rather make up some hoses than chop the seatbox and floors about and have to source props).

Does anybody have any experience of doing it this way?

Many thanks

Dave

to keep the main gearbox & engine in the same place as the original engine, the Stumpy R380 is what you need but they are hard to get hold of & not cheap.

my stumpy R380 is a Ashcroft Transmission unit https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/manual-gearboxes/short-bellhousing-r380.html

my 110 was a TD/LT77, its been a 200Tdi/stumpy R380 since mid 1994.

I appreciate the suggestion and although it would almost certainly be easier, i can get hold of a standard R380 fairly cheaply.

Also, if i'm going to fit a 300tdi, i'll have to alter the engine mounts anyway so i could quite easily move them forward.  I'm just not sure whether i can leave the transfer box where it is or not, it would save a fair bit of time and money if i could.

Thanks

Dave

I did the lt77 200tdi to 300tdi with r380 conversion 

I fitted it in factory position so needed to replace engine mounts, change both propshafts, seat box and tunnel, oil cooler pipes, coolant hoses, radiator and intercooler, air filter and pipework, coolant expansion bottle and exhaust. 

Yes it all added up but I now know if something goes wrong I can fit standard 300 parts rather than conversion hoses or having to cut and shut hoses.