300tdi oil cooler. Not working possibly?

Just put a new rad on and went for a drive for 17 or so miles engine up to temperature. Popped the bonnet on returning home to check for leaks and have noticed the oil cooler pipes are cold? Is this normal? I did notice on taking my old leaking rad off that when I undid the bottom cooler pipe little oil came out I seem to remember more coming out in the past when I have had to remove it. Stuck thermostat maybe? The engine has been stood out of vehicle for over a year due to chassis upwards rebuild.

Thanks Red90 I will try and give it a long run on the motorway tomorrow and re check. 

One thing that has passed through my mind is if I have got the pipes connected to the cooler positions correctly. I have the pipe that you would remove to access and remove the thermostat going to the bottom connection of the cooler can anybody with a 300tdi confirm this is correct?

As Red90 says. Even though the coolant gauge may show the engine is at operating temperature, that doesn't necessarily mean the engine oil will be to temperature. Engine oil temperature lags quite alot behind coolant temperature.

35 minutes ago, Kurt said:

Thanks Red90 I will try and give it a long run on the motorway tomorrow and re check. 

One thing that has passed through my mind is if I have got the pipes connected to the cooler positions correctly. I have the pipe that you would remove to access and remove the thermostat going to the bottom connection of the cooler can anybody with a 300tdi confirm this is correct?

Yes.  I'm pretty sure it is impossible to fit them any incorrect ways.

the upper oil cooler pipe/hose goes to the oil filter head rear connection nearest the engine block,

the lower oil cooler pipe/hose goes to the oil filter head oil thermostat top hat housing next to the oil pressure switch

IIRC the oil thermostat opens at 74 degrees, [that's stamped into the end of my 200tdi's oil stat body]

Edited by western
error amended

Hi Western. Is the 200tdi plumbed differently than the 300 though? I managed to find this pic online below of 300 tdi cooler lines. Shows the line from thermostat top hat to bottom connection this is the same as i have mine. 

CB081E3C-CB12-4598-AEA2-373ABE5332D3.jpeg

Thanks western. I have ordered a new thermostat and o rings as the system is so simple i may as well replace at the same time as checking. Could be ok as i had not exactly been pushing the limits of the engine before i noticed the pipes were cold. Just a little stop start traffic and 30mph roads on my way home from work.

Quick update.

Following a slightly more spirited drive to work this morning involving a few more hills the oil cooler does appear to be working as it should ( sigh of relief! ) Thank you everybody for the helpfull suggestions.

• Like 2