Best engine

neil110

37 minutes ago, Arjan said:

I know 2.5 N/A diesel bashing is a popular thing but they are actually quite good engine is looked after and it has taken me to several mountain tops in the 10,000 feet region......

If anyone remembers Tonk and his Series 2, that had a 2.5NA and 35's and was one of the fastest things on the road :lol:

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If anyone remembers Tonk and his Series 2, that had a 2.5NA and 35's and was one of the fastest things on the road :lol:

Cough, 200tdi and 34” simex  jungle trekkers 

Edited by Jon White

This one's been sitting in my files forever. Dyno plot of a 2.25 petrol in a series. Looking at the numbers I assume this is uncorrected figures at the wheels. I recall the guy who took the pull saying it was the lowest power figure he'd ever seen on the dyno, but not the lowest torque :lol:

series2286petrol.jpg

4 hours ago, Daan said:

What has happened to fuel consumption? Does that not matter to anyone?:rtfm:

Well the best engine is an electric motor, unfortunately batteries still suck and the cost of conversion is tens of thousands at the moment.

Maybe as more EV's end up in scrapyards we'll see prices come down, but I think batteries will be the difficult and expensive bit for the forseeable.

I'm afraid I agree. I'd love an electric motor on my series, plumbed into the transfer box. Full torque from zero revs. No need for a gearbox.

No batteries and no option to recharge inside 10 minutes, so a non starter.

C'mon science, we need batteries!

Chaps we are going of in a tangent here. we are talking about the best engine, and all we talk about is power curves. How do the fuel consumption figures compare between all the mentioned Land rover engines, as this does potentially decides what is best for you. So the title should really say best engine you can afford to run. :pir7::popcorndrama:

• Like 1

True enough Daan - although at least power curves are an improvement over random opinions from the bloke down the pub.:ph34r:

MPG is a good leveller, for all the moaning about LR's engines the "far better" alternatives are often let down by MPG - Dirtydiesel took the p*** out of my 4.6 at every petrol station for 2000 miles, then he bought a 4.2 diesel Patrol and never mentioned MPG again :lol: same thing happened when someone bought a diesel Land Cruiser - very capable bus, very reliable, and 18mpg if you're gentle :blink:

Another factor is the dwindling number of simple engines - especially diesels - that can be made to run outside their original vehicle. Megasquirt is an easy answer that covers almost anything petrol-powered, but I've not seen much by the way of running modern diesels.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Another factor is the dwindling number of simple engines - especially diesels - that can be made to run outside their original vehicle. Megasquirt is an easy answer that covers almost anything petrol-powered, but I've not seen much by the way of running modern diesels.

There are a couple of very clever people in the Diesel Merc world that are developing the stuff to run the first of the copmmon rail merc lumps stand-alone. They've already got a controller which will do the Electronically controlled mechanical pumps (like the kind on my OM606).

18 hours ago, TSD said:

This one's been sitting in my files forever. Dyno plot of a 2.25 petrol in a series. Looking at the numbers I assume this is uncorrected figures at the wheels. I recall the guy who took the pull saying it was the lowest power figure he'd ever seen on the dyno, but not the lowest torque :lol:

series2286petrol.jpg

That torque at low revs is wonderful.  You have to love how those petrol fours just hang on!

5 hours ago, landroversforever said:

There are a couple of very clever people in the Diesel Merc world that are developing the stuff to run the first of the copmmon rail merc lumps stand-alone. They've already got a controller which will do the Electronically controlled mechanical pumps (like the kind on my OM606).

Aren't the EDC pumps pretty simple though - clockwork to do the heavy lifting and a basic ECU to tweak a couple of parameters? I'm talking about this century's common-rail diesels.

This is why the true answer is subjective. What do you place most importance on?

It's why I stick to a 19J (I'm not going to claim it is the best engine made though!), I don't use it as a daily driver, I don't care about it being not that fast. I want it to be original for a late 1980's Land Rover, the era I find nostalgic. Others will place importance on other things. I think it is the variety in Land Rovers that makes them so interesting.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Aren't the EDC pumps pretty simple though - clockwork to do the heavy lifting and a basic ECU to tweak a couple of parameters? I'm talking about this century's common-rail diesels.

Yeah the EDC ones are simple.... it's just a mechanical pump with an electronically controlled rack. But they have got an OM648 I think it is running standalone which is common rail.

EDIT: 613, which is between the 606 and the 648.