Retroanaconda

Rear flood light

After nearly reversing into a ravine today in the dark I think I need to improve rearward illumination for reversing purposes. I have an LED scene light above the rear door which does a good job of illuminating the area immediately behind the vehicle and so is very useful for generally working at the back door, but it doesn’t put enough light outwards to the general surroundings.

I’d like something that is compact enough that I can fit it to the rear of the roof panel (above the 1/4 light on one side) and it won’t protrude above the roofline. It also needs to have a flood-type pattern so that the whole area is lit. Most of the ones I can find online are the swivel type and I’d rather something fixed if possible, or at least robust enough that it won’t wobble about.

My choice of generic Chinese LED lights on eBay is seemingly limitless so I’m interested to see if people have tried and tested solutions which they would recommend. Not averse to spending a bit more for something decent!

The Ninety has this :

image.png.26ee5ce86536164506d16f8349cecfde.png

The 110

image.png.d642d26b2caff25c4f5c6c61a46fd301.png

Chinese LED units do the job.
On the Hybrid we have these - with LED H7 inside...

image.png.dd6e838bc37311dbf58ae9e0a500a97b.png

I really like to have a bit of light on the rear....

I've just bought a couple of LED floodlights from a seller on FaceBook. £20 posted. I'll let you know the quality when it arrives.

Cheers

Peter

a single square led similar to Arjan's 110 on the back of my 110.wired to be on with the reverse lights too 

WP_20150613_007.jpg

WP_20150613_016.jpg

I've got them too. Rear (flood) one is pretty tatty as the black finish has rusted off but the light is stellar and can scare bumper-huggers with a short blip. I put four on the front too, two spot and two flood, but sadly the two floods have succumbed to water ingress and have got a tad hiccupy so were removed. They seem good value, are plenty bright, but an added fitting precaution would be a smear of clear silicone around the edges to prevent water entry.

Thanks gents. Scaring bumper huggers would be a useful secondary function, as well as telling idiots to dip their lights behind me. Both of which are a regular occurrence for some reason  

Something like this appeals. A little more expensive than the ebay offerings, but being IP68 rated it should resist water ingress pretty well. And it’s a flood pattern.

https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/visionx-dura-mini-12w/

I've had a cheap eBay LED on the back until last year when I started some upgrades. It has worked well, with one of those led illuminated toggles at the dash to remind me to switch it off. It started to look very tatty with paint peeling but at least it didn't fail - unlike many led light sources where the drivers appear to give up.

I queued overnight with one of the Protrax Defenders last year and there was a Nordic lamp on it. I did some research and they seem very robust but expensive I think.

1936738744_Nordiclamp.thumb.jpg.83110e34596d734c5d3b78220cdeabfa.jpg

I went with the Hard Korr XD120 which is excellent - only thing I would look at changing is having one each side rather than just the one in the middle. I have wired up to a carling switch on dash so operates independently of reverse lights. https://hardkorrlighting.com/en-nz/product/xd-series-18w-slimline-driving-light-xd120/

image.jpg

Mine was fitted when I bought it. It’s separate from the normal LED reversing lights and operated via a proper centre dash console switch to make it look standard. It’s very bright and sits quite flush with the roof so not easily knocked.

821099BD-CE9E-483D-9B21-03DE88F982DE.jpeg

On 3/7/2019 at 9:33 PM, western said:

a single square led similar to Arjan's 110 on the back of my 110.wired to be on with the reverse lights too 

WP_20150613_007.jpg

WP_20150613_016.jpg

you could up rate the round ones ( orange and red) for led

3 hours ago, Green200tdi said:

you could up rate the round ones ( orange and red) for led

already change the standard bulb lights for led, swapped the brake/tail to led back in March 2017, did the indicators are few months later.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:11 PM, western said:

already change the standard bulb lights for led, swapped the brake/tail to led back in March 2017, did the indicators are few months later.

👍

Did you need to change the indicator relay to cope with the lower current draw?

Cheers

Peter

Yep, bought it from RDX when I bought the lights.

Thanks. I did the same with an old 110, just checking I would still need to. At least the LED are more common now, they were quite "novel" when I first did it and some b...d nicked them all!

Cheers

Peter