1987 110 front axle , is a range rover classic the same ?

hello all , 

short question , is a range rover classic front axle the same unit as a 110 2.5 D from 1987 ?

in short , i want to rebuild a complete (calipers and rotors included) spare front axle , and when finished swap for my current slightly worn front axle , in holland a spare range rover classic axle is easier found then a spare 110 axle ..

(of course it needs to be LHD)

thanks in advance 

gerben

Edited by hurbie

The short answer is no. However there are about 4 variations on the front axle and they will all fit. But there are two different widths of radius arm so you may need them too. The front calipers are a different size on a range rover (smaller) there is also and imperial axle but I think the calipers will swap as long as you use the correct bolts. I'm sure there's more but can't think off hand.

Mike

ok , clear reactions ... i guess i have to look for a original 110 axle then.

does anybody know til what year i can use ? is there a axle number i can use ?

Edited by hurbie

Hi Gerben, welkom

They're different in many way and for rebuilding, when you have the bits, it is a weekend job.

Front axles (RRC / D1/Defender) can be sort of interchanged but details differ per axles and require work.

In the end, we jusr rebuild the axles..

Succes !

Like I said yes they can be fitted but they may not be a straight swap. I have a discovery front axle on the front and it just needed 110 calipers. So can you build a range rover axle to fit a 110 front? yes 

Is it a straight swap? No

Mike

What is wrong with your old axle?  If you have easy access to a RRC axle, you may be able to use it as a parts donor - it's likely that a similar age RR axle will use the same suspension components, so all that would differ is the CV joints, drive flanges and brakes.

16 minutes ago, Snagger said:

What is wrong with your old axle?  If you have easy access to a RRC axle, you may be able to use it as a parts donor - it's likely that a similar age RR axle will use the same suspension components, so all that would differ is the CV joints, drive flanges and brakes.

The mushroom style drive flange front axle (early range rover) is imperial so very little is interchangeable but the whole axle can be fitted with some mods.

Nearly all earlier 110's are bitsa's by now this is no problem unless you need an original truck, as long as you know where the parts come from. I have to given 3 different registration's when ordering parts. 

The op wanted to build a spare axle up ready to just swap. I assume to have the minimum lay up time.

Mike

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

He wants to do a complete rebuild of the axle and then swap.  This keep the truck off the road for a shorter period of time.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:53 PM, miketomcat said:

there is also and imperial axle but I think the calipers will swap as long as you use the correct bolts

Hole spacings on the imperial and metric calipers are the same, but the imperial holes are slightly smaller diameter. From memory, about 11mm (or old money equivalent), where as metric are 12mm. They are easy enough to drill out to the larger size should you want to fit imperial calipers on a metric axle.