Bolt-on LR portals

HoSS

Using just two gears in the portal units is going to reverse the drive.  They include new C&P gears with reverse helix, so that tallies up, and I can see how you can invert a Rover diff (after changing the pan), but will this work in a Salisbury axle?  Genuine question, not rhetorical - i don't know if the diff housing will allow for the carrier to be fitted the opposite way around, but I have doubts.

Their standard 5:1 total ratio sounds reasonable enough since oversize tyres are almost certain to be fitted.  I still think they ought to give a range of diff ratio options, though, perhaps with a recommended ratio to tyre size table.

To be fair to them, that is pretty much how I would be attempting it. The rear axle looks pretty ok to me from the picture, perhaps with a sleeved casing, even the alu portal should be ok if they did it machined from solid out of aluminium 7075 T6. Also, the rover diff will be plenty with a 1:2 reduction upstream, so a Salisbury axle is pretty much pointless.

but I want to see the front: the closed knuckle is not really designed to take these loads, and the Volvo axle has an open knuckle with the bearings about a foot apart. So the question is are they using the standard knuckle or have they redesigned this into something stronger?

It's easy to criticize, but there comes a point were we can't find any more Volvo axles and then how we move forward?

Daan

34 minutes ago, Daan said:

It's easy to criticize, but there comes a point were we can't find any more Volvo axles and then how we move forward?

True, but those guys sell Volvo parts (and have pictures of racers with Volvo axles on their site) so I'd hope they'd have looked at the engineering that's gone into them and the potential failure modes - a replacement axle housing is perhaps one of the easier things they could manufacture and one of the obvious weak points.

I don't see that making any part of that housing out of aluminium is a good idea, the Volvo castings are pretty robust (straight-cut gears and Swedish metallurgy help), by contrast Unimog ones can and do grenade themselves (helical gears) and I don't think anyone's accusing them of being under-built or slapdash in their engineering :lol:

As you say, the front axle would be most interesting as I can't see LR swivels being in their happy place with 37's and an extra 100mm leverage.

They don't say anywhere that they are bolt-on, indeed you just need to look at the end of the axle tube to realise something needs welding the tube after cutting off the old flange.

Makes me worry even more about Ross's axles spacer ideas.

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

They don't say anywhere that they are bolt-on...

Bolt on portals for Land Rover done!

http://custom4x4parts.com/product/tornado-portal-kit-land-rover/?fbclid=IwAR0iggs3vVlUv7y-yZI0DMf6lJQgDQ1ka80osQj_kWOLzunNFf7SrKnNhT0

That is why we are now offering a portal kit that is completely bolt on.

Edited by Red90

I'd hope they've got an ali sandwich going on, with steel plates that attach to the axle and stubs and an ali housing in between creating the space the gears run in, held in compression by high tensile bolts. If that is the case, I'd say that's an acceptable use of ali and a very easy method of manufacture. If that's not the case and the side plates are made of alioooominumanum, then I'm in the "something gon' break" camp. 

The "bolt on" claim does seem disingenuous with the casing needing modification to fit a flipped diff. I can't see how you'd get around that. 

There is no way in hell those are strong enough.  Without bracing the stock axle tube will bend.  The portal box is way too light for the loads.

No pictures of the front....  No details on the design or component size.  Anyone sending them 10000 Euros needs to come and see some nice land I have for sale.

• Haha 1