Eberspacher D2

daveturnbull

I've finally gotten round it finishing the wiring for my D2 and firing it up for the first time. It did a pump prime and got going after a while. I ran it for 15 minutes to let it get warm then turned it off, but the fan kept running. I expected it to run for a little but to cool down the burner, but after 20 minutes it was still going. I got bored of waiting and pulled the fuse. 

How long is it supposed to run for, and what might be wrong with mine? 

Dave , whereabouts in Bmth are you?  , it should only run on for about 1 minute max,  What controller are you using as some have a vent facility and then the blower motor runs alone, seems to be the most likely reason.

I could put diagnostics on it to check the actual heater.

I'm in Northbourne, but happy to travel around.

My controller is the rotary rheostat type.

DSC_1128.JPG.ed4460d8d83c7d440e5a7016c03e516e.JPG

Diagnostics would be great, but possibly tricky as the previous owner removed the multiplug, so all the wires are individually connected. I have the diagrams to figure out what goes where, but obviously missing any kind of plug for easy connection.

DSC_1130.thumb.JPG.9fa8e4f0551d5ef64c4771126caeff68.JPG

I'm thinking it must be a fault with either the ECU, or possibly more likely there is a temperature sensor on the side of the burn chamber that is giving an incorrect reading to the ECU. When the unit was running I did think that the air it was producing could have been warmer. I've not past experience of these for comparison, but I had to stick my fingers right over the outlet to feel any kind of heat. From what I've read, it should be more insta-sauna. So if the temp sensor was giving a higher than actual reading, I guess that could cause the heater output to be lowered, and the fan to run on after shutdown (assuming the ECU turns it off when the temp drops below a certain value).

I need to drag the unit out again as the fan was catching on the casing. Is there a way I can test the temp sensor (resistance with a certain range, maybe)?

My D1 fan runs on for about 5 mins, possibly more after turning it off, so it is normal for it to continue but probably not for as long as you have experienced here.

Temp sensor was my first thought too with yours, but I am not sure they are even that complex.

the rheostat has a vent function as well as heat settings make sure its switched to off and not just to vent, if you want it testing I'm sure I can arrange that ,  PM me when you have it out, I'll pick it up and run it on the bench at work ,  no charge unless it needs bits 

Thanks John. I've just been out for another tinker and it turns out I had selected vent mode, so slight user error there. Anyway I tried the heater again, and the fan span up as expected but the burner was very much not. 

I disconnected everything and wrestled it out onto the bench for a poke around with the multimeter. 

DSC_1137.thumb.JPG.f90ed24d8a3becefbe7ffa2ef3fe2e80.JPG

This site explains how to test the sensor. 

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/eberspacher_faults_1.html

With my meter at as described, I get 0.85 on the flame sensor and 5.6 on the overheat sensor. That's at about 5 degrees, not the 20 as explained, but blowing on the overheat sensor to warm it up the values go down, not up as expected. 

Edited by daveturnbull