Trackers good bad and ugly

miketomcat

Due to a spate of thefts locally my mind has been attuned to the idea. I'm not under the misguided idea that you can stop it being knocked even chaining it down and taking the wheels off won't stop them. So trackers: sensible price, easy to fit/hide, preferably without or with a cheap subscription. Ideas and suggestions welcome, pm me if you don't want to put info up on here.

Mike

Some offer a life long subscription rather than paying annually. Someone I know has one on a camper and I think it was about £400 for the subscription. 

With the caravan I was always of the opinion that if certain people have had it I don't want it back but I can imagine with all the work you've put in yours you would! 

TK103 trackers are good, 25 quid on Amazon.  Just need a cheap sim card for communicating with it by sms.  Some very useful features on the tk103 as well - can use it as an alarm, vibration function, remote fuel cut off etc. Also has built in battery.

If you have a tracker, aside from hiding it well and not advertising you've got one, remove any cigarette sockets to make it more difficult to power tracker jammers. 

My only hands on experience of trackers has been a 'Tracker' branded one on the parents caravan. Moved from the side of the house to the front drive and has a call to say it's moving. They're also as far as I know the only ones to use VHF which works in more places than the GSM type ones. SiWhite once told me about them finding a couple of defenders in a shipping container thanks to one of them having a 'Tracker' fitted.

I'm sure an Ibex would be stolen to be stripped for parts or shipped abroad. 

I have a sim card alarm in my garage with a stock pay and go sim, the biggest problem is if I don't make a call every 6 months they cut off the service so I have to keep remembering to either set the alarm off or call the talking clock. Amazing how quick 6 months can come around too. If you go that way might be worth doing a bit of research into the type of service you take out for it. 

Mobile signals can be a bit iffy in containers too. Also if you want it to be accepted by your insurance then they might dictate makes and who fits it. 

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

One ibex has been stolen I think it was recovered though. However we have a 110 as well so if I'm doing one I'll do both.

What's the difference between the TK103A and the TK103B?

Mike

The 'b' has a remote control fob if I remember correctly.   Not a great deal of benefit in the fob, just as easy to send commands via a tk103 app on your phone.   I tend to only 'arm' it to send alerts if I'm away or its parked somewhere strange overnight, otherwise it's passive untill I need to ask it where it is.

Mike I've got a skytag lying around here somewhere that you're welcome to. Got it off someone else but never re-registered it or installed it.

With my upcoming move back to Wales it won't be as necessary :D.

I looked into trackers a few years ago but I've never installed one, I'm still not that convinced about them, especially as a topic on hear showed you can buy a tracker "bug finder" from Amazon for peanuts which kinda negates the whole thing really.  Just worth factoring in.

29 minutes ago, Maverik said:

I looked into trackers a few years ago but I've never installed one, I'm still not that convinced about them, especially as a topic on hear showed you can buy a tracker "bug finder" from Amazon for peanuts which kinda negates the whole thing really.  Just worth factoring in.

Thieves can break through lock barrels, smash steering locks, bypass imobilisers and cut through security devices - wouldn't stop me using them though.  And a bug finder is only really going to put you off taking a tracked car - I don't think thieves have ever stripped a car on someone's drive to find and remove the tracker. 

Depending on the tracker,  they can be left passive and only start tracking when you send it a message to come alive and send its location,  so it would only give off an infrequent network signal, same as anything else with a sim nearby will be sending out.  The biggest threat is a jammer or just setting the car on fire!

A van locally was found due to a tracker. It had been left in a housing estate with fake plates "to see if anyone came for It" I doubt they'll catch anyone but the van has been recovered. The track log led to a trailer being recovered, unfortunately the digger wasn't. So they definitely help.

Mike

I tried a lot of analog CCTV systems like this one and found that they were all not worth bothering with.
While you could get "better" cameras the analog transmission of the video signal and then the need to digitise it let the whole thing down.
e.g. An expensive 8 camera system had enough grunt to handle 1 camera at the max resolution but as soon as you added more cameras to resolution of each camera went down.

If you want CCTV of any use get an ip CCTV camera and have external IR Led's (so you don't get spiders taking up home infront of the lens)

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 10:06 PM, miketomcat said:

Thanks ed I'll do a bit more research on skytag. They seem to be a bit only if stolen where as some of the others have live tracking for similar monthly.

Mike

You can have "live tracking" if you wish (say to monitor what your kids are up to when they borrow your car) it all depends upon the subscription you pay.

However, as soon as you report your vehicle stolen, your access to live tracking is turned off. That's because the police take over the chase on live tracking, and you'd be foolish to get involved. 

As for people who say SkyTag won't work if the vehicle is taken into a multi-story or underground car park, or it's put inside a container. So what? SkyTag will have recorded a trail of where the vehicle has been taken -- a trail of breadcrumbs -- all the way to where the thieves have hidden it. 

You choose a safe zone where you normally park, and if the vehicle moves outside that zone a text and email message is sent. And if it's after a certain time of day, you also get a phone call.

A very good system in my opinion. I'd also recommend security marking all of the parts. Thieves tend to go for easy targets, not Land Rovers displaying Tracker and Security Marked stickers.

It's also very reassuring in the dark winter nights.

A bloke at work had to have a tracker on his camper for insurance, he disconnected an earth to add an accessory and got a call on him mobile straight away saying someone was fiddling with his vehicle. His was a pay so much a year or a lump sum for 'life'.

I never fitted one to the caravan as if that type of person took it I figured I didn't want it back but obviously if it's something you've put a lot of time into its different. 

I know a few people who have had the Aldi/ maplin camera systems and have often had to return them as faulty. Due to the effort the cabling takes I wouldn't want to go that cheap. The system I have I got from a closure auction of a cctv company, it's about as good as you can get from a coaxial system and it is useful but if you want to read a numberplate it has to be close. If I'd been spending proper money on it I would've gone ip.

We have a monitored alarm at work and I never like getting a call, the alarms going off sir. Oh... I'll go down on my own in the dark and check it out then... an engineer was servicing the system once, somehow managed to put the code in backwards which aparantly is a silent alarm intended for jewlers etc, first we knew was when armed police turned up at the gate 🤔 

Edited by Cynic-al

I'm very keen on getting Skytag, contacted them and they say they'll discount the up-front cost from £249 to £75 for a group buy. Monthly packages stay the same as here: http://www.skytag-gps.co.uk/

Drop me a message if interested, I'm keen to sort this out by the beginning of next month, after a neighbour's LR went walkies from his front drive last month.

Back in 2011 / 2012 ish, I read bout the TK102 that Si Rafferty had hidden in his truck.

I bought one and installed it, and although now in a different truck, it's still going strong.

It might be limited by the GSM network but costs me something like £10 per month for the text only SIM to have a little piece of mind.

There is a small App written by a member on here (Called TKController) that can be used to control the commands easily. So when parked up at home, or anywhere new overnight,  I set a virtual fence and if broken the unit sends me texts with locations every 30 seconds and calls me to alert me to the fact it's passed through the fence.... 

You can wire in an immobiliser if you wish and I believe even a panic style button to send messages to numbers in it's list.

When my battery ran low  while back it even started to text me to warn me it's battery was low....

If it were stolen, I can give the number to the police and they can get regular location texts just by sending a basic command... So they "could" track the vehicle.

I'd guess that Skytag and the likes have software that plots these types of  messages and produces the breadcrumb trail and do the legwork in liaison with the police.

For a cheap option, I'd happily recommend a TK unit of some sort.