Getting electricity to an in tank petrol pump

Gazzar

I'm trying to fit an in tank pump to a series lightweight.

It's for fuel injection.

I've a RRC low pressure pump and a LWB sender that I'm going to marry together.

So getting the pump in is mostly fine.

It's getting the power through the mounting flange I'm struggling with.

The plan is to drill a hole and try to seal the wiring loom to the top of the flange some how.

Space is tight, so I was wondering if there was a smarter, easier, better way?

I don't think I'm good enough with the MIG to transplant the hole!

IMG_20190315_171800.jpg

IMG_20190315_171447.jpg

IMG_20190315_171729.jpg

Yes, I could. 

The complication is the twin tank set up.

And getting the return to the tanks. I could use the LWB sender to an external pump. But if have to extend the sender tube.

I do like the idea of in tank pumps, they are quiet and less obtrusive than external pumps.

Your comment has me reconsidering my decision.

Um.

Is it cheaper? 

New sender. New pump. Hour to marry the two together, wire extension, and new hole for connector.

I'm not convinced I have this right.

How much is an external low pressure pump?

I have learned the hard way that most materials which are fuel resistant are not fuel proof for submersion in a tank. Be very careful with this, it's not worth burning your car to the ground to save £100.

It might be easier to cut a new hole in the top and just drop a standard in-tank pump in, if it's for EFI then the RRC one is very similar to your setup, high-pressure in-tank and not expensive - just needs a circular hole with 5 or 6 threaded holes around it and poke it in. The low-pressure carb version (RRC/D1/Defender V8) is identical mounting.

I did try that. I don't think I can get the RRC pump to seal. 

The mounting flange is made in such a way it needs a raised ring on the tank, and that means I've to weld a ring on to the tank. Didn't work.

My plan of fitting the RRC pump to the series sender avoids that problem. As does the external pump.

Or pumps: twin tanks.

Or is the HP RRC  pump a different mount? Would it mount flush to sheet metal?

Plus it needs extending, too.

External is making a lot of sense, acestetic considerations aside.

Dumb question. How do I attach nylon fuel pipe to the sender pick up pipe? Is there a nut and compression olive I can get? The early series has the nut on the nylon pipe.

On the other hand, if it's good value and works fine? 

If they are rubbish, I'll not touch.

If not, why not save £150 to spend on the gearbox?

Genuine Land Rover one would be a Facet red-top, as fitted to early Range Rover, 6cyl series and V8 Series / Defender. For the lift pump that is - for the EFi pressure I used a Bosch inline external pump fed by the lift pump, you can get neato little alloy swirl-pots for them to live in on eBay these days.

When fitting efi to my P6 I used a cylindrical facet (which the factory fitted one off my 90) a small swirl pot from obp, and an in-line pump followed by an efi filter.  This is a lot cheaper than the nice internally pumped swirl pots that fridge mentions but is a heck of a lot more plumbing (looks messy) and general stuff to find a home for!

16 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Have you got a link, by any chance, for the swirl pot sort of thing?

I'm not able to visualise what you've described.

Literally the 1st hit on eBay so no comment about price/quality etc. but this is the sort of thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262809939480

So low-pressure lift pump fills it, return from FPR also goes back into it, and then the 3rd port returns to tank. Means the EFI pump is always sat in a litre of air-free fuel. Bosch 044 or I imagine Walbro 255 universal standard pump drops in so easy for spares etc. of known quality although I'm sure numerous tribute acts are also available.

swirl_pot_fp.thumb.jpg.fbe1eeef0e5a492622894e4c3dfca08b.jpg

That's clever!

I can work with that. Etch prime, NATO green and mount to the top of the near side foot well.

It will look like a standard lightweight tool box.

Yes. That's good.

I'm going to stick with plan "A". In tank pump.

I can't overcome my dislike of the appearance of the universal and facet type pumps in this application. I want to to look authentic. Not original, but all of a piece, if you know what I mean. The carter pumps would have looked right. But are not UK available enough.

I'll use a different brand of sender and pump for the other tank, same principle, and extend the wires a bit.

I might even get tank one done tomorrow.

Thanks.

I fitted a factory low pressure in tank pump to an under-seat tank about 11yrs ago as part of a twin tank setup. Extended the support leg at the bit where the factory slotted holes/2screws were and added a short piece of hose and solder/heatsrink to extend the leads. I just used a holesaw through the tank with 5 rivnuts around the hole. But I did put a sheetmetal reinforcing ring on the inside clamped by the rivnuts to stiffen it up. Fitted with a standard cork gasket. No leaks.

About 2 years ago I swapped the LP pump for a HP when I went EFI/Megasquirt. The heatshrink did not seem to have been affected by the fuel and I'm still using the setup now.

Andy

• 8 months later...