Discovery ABS issue

sotal

My father in law has asked me to see if I can find anything out about the problem he is having with his Discovery II Td5.

He sent it to a small garage to have a number of things sorted for the MOT. One of which was the 3 amigos which were on.

The garage has sorted the various other bits, but said they put it on the computer and cleared the 3 amigos, but then the ABS light has come back shortly after and won't go off. They said they can't do any more. They said the ABS Modulator isn't getting any power.

It seems rather vague, but I have a few questions.

When the system recognises a fault does it cut power to the ABS Modulator? (ie is it normal that the ABS Modulator doesn't have power when the light is on?)

If he has a computer that is able to turn off the 3 amigos, wouldn't it be able to diagnose the fault?

Anything particular that we should be looking for to fix it - the garage seem to be trying to wash their hands of it now and want him to pay for what they've done and take it back unfinished.

Hi, If you do a search on the internet for the "Three Amigos" you'll get loads of info.

The most common cause is simply a worn wheel bearing causing play that is picked up by the ABS sensor. 

Secondly a fault with the shuttle valve switch due to a bad electrical connection. This is easily fixed by re-wiring.

Because the TD5 is NOT OBD2 compliant this is why the garage may be having trouble diagnosing the fault but can clear it. You need someone with a Nanocom or Hawkeye.

Where abouts are you in the midlands? I'm North Shropshire and have Nanocom Evo.

Regards,

Griff

1 hour ago, bear said:

Hi, If you do a search on the internet for the "Three Amigos" you'll get loads of info.

The most common cause is simply a worn wheel bearing causing play that is picked up by the ABS sensor. 

Secondly a fault with the shuttle valve switch due to a bad electrical connection. This is easily fixed by re-wiring.

Because the TD5 is NOT OBD2 compliant this is why the garage may be having trouble diagnosing the fault but can clear it. You need someone with a Nanocom or Hawkeye.

Where abouts are you in the midlands? I'm North Shropshire and have Nanocom Evo.

Regards,

Griff

We are in North Staffordshire. Does it sound right to have no power to the modulator? That was the reason they were saying they couldn't diagnose it. So they thought it was more of an electrical fault actually supplying the modulator. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just cutting the power due to it being in fault mode.

I have regular problems with the three amigos on my disco and are nearly always cause by the ABS sensors. The sensors can be checked simply with an multimetre put across the terminals on resistance, If the resistance keeps moving then they are ok if it sticks at a level thrn it is US. If in doubt there is a you tube vid on testing the ABS sensors. at the very least it will rule out one fault.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:20 PM, sotal said:

but then the ABS light has come back shortly after and won't go off.

If the ABS came on alone after 3 amigos went out the fault was one sensor related and the vehicle must exceed 10mph for the warning lamp to go out or if the fault is still present the 3 amigos will be back

Edited by sierrafery