Wiper Spindle PRC8495

Wiper Spindle PRC8495 for a Defender 300Tdi is it best to go Genuine or are some Aftermarket ones as good or who is the OEM? Genuine being the usual daft prices!

Went to replace wiper arms and the adapter. But the little darling doesn't want to come off the drivers side wiper! Grrrrrr

Made a small puller using an old small G clamp and a bit of cutting with the angle grinder, but still wont budge!!!

Any ideas or it's cut off and renew altogether hence the 1st. Question?

How something so simple can be such a problem is beyond me!?! Even a makeshift puller should have moved the thing if only slightly!?! Not as if there is a huge surface area, oh but wait, you have to figure in RUST!!! Grrrr

Cheers Andy 

Yes Mo, well one was missing any way (bonus), the other one I've had to drill out! And it appears they are BOTH refusing to move!?!

As it's my daily ride and not having wipers at present, just praying it doesn't rain!.... Got tomorrow off and then off for a week come Saturday, so either fix or new with any luck.

Bowie69 no nut splitter sadly....Having looked at the drivers side wheel box the spindle arm looks slightly bent downwards!?!.....

So have advised HRH that it looks like new ones! That way just grind them off and save the trouble!?! Grrrrr

Anyone know which PRC8495 to get ie Genuine or who is the OEM maker or recommend a brand make?

Cheers Andy 

I put suffix "G" at the end of the part number PRC8495 as this usually indicates GENUINE?...When i did the search it was throwing up PRC8495G OEM Britpart. 

And i know Britpart are suppliers and dont manufacture so here's hoping? Plus money largely dictates as i am already looking at a new heater blower motor as it has stopped working! Heaters ok still get a trickle of warm air coming in but no blower!

Cheers all, Andy 

Edited by Mutley

‘G’ suffix generally just means OEM. Some OEM bits are fine, alas wiper components are not one of them. My experience is that for wiper racks, wheelboxes and spindles, genuine Land Rover Parts is the way to go.

Even they don’t last that long, the system was carp in the 60s when it was designed and is still carp today.

I'd a problem thats worth being aware of - had a LR Original Parts spindle and a Bearmach one - all hunky dory running off an old LR genuine rack. I changed the rack for a new one (Britpart) and it would not slide into the LR spindle box. It worked ok on the Bearmach one but there was some incompatibility with the LR one. I reverted to the Genuine parts and it fitted fine. Best to test all this before you get it into the dash void as its a pita to pull out again.

@cackshifter OUCH!!! Fancy money HRH would have my nuts in a sling!!!

And thanks for the link Ralph and for all the advice from the rest of the gang.

Have ordered a GENUINE cable as advised. Will let you know about the Britpart OEM Wheel box when it arrives and compare to what comes off the Defender,  that said there is no guarantee thats a genuine one!?!

Cheers all, Andy

So here's the update!.....

Britpart OEM Wiper boxes arrived, with spindle adapters and have to say very impressed! They are nice and tight no play in the spindle arm, gear moves firm but freely. As far as i can tell looks the same as the ones i removed? The genuine rack/cable was a good solid fit not sloppy!

All greased up and fitted with no issues and now working as they should. The only thing that is in question is how long they last!?! Personally i think just as long as the originals.

Andy