Stage one V8 front half shafts

Gazzar

My s1v8 half shafts have arrived for my lightweight. 

£400 of 300M steel!

They better last forever.

They are absolutely top notch pieces of engineering.

IMG_20190323_162031.jpg

IMG_20190323_162017.jpg

IMG_20190323_162023.jpg

IMG_20190323_162028.jpg

I have a pair of pegged Truetrac 10 spline diffs, range rover ratio.

They should last as long as 24 spline.

The shafts are a tight interference fit, will be covered in anti seize paste and so shouldn't fettle away.

And it's only a 2.5 petrol, after all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. It remains to be seen if this will work. 

Can't see why not, though.

An expensive, but viable, way to get to CV series axles.

• 1 year later...

Buy 24 inter spline shafts, buy a 24 spline diff.

Later defenders have the diffs, max trax had the shafts, if no longer available, you can commission them from GB engineering.

• Like 1

How does it work with the CV joints in the lightweight swivels or have you changed your axle to a stage 1? Apart from the larger brakes, I s there a difference between the hub assembly on a Stage 1 to that of a standard 2.25 series?

scrub that, I’ve just found the answer to my own question. Yes there are vehicle specific parts for the Stage 1.

It's all in my build thread, but basically you need 110 CVs (AEU 2522 - available), stage one V8 shafts ( now available ), and stage one V8 stub axles, plus normal post rationalisation hubs.

The tricky bit is the stub axles, NLA, but the stage one guys are looking at remaking them. 

There's other stuff, railko bushes need shortening, swivel balls need some grinding, swivel pins need shortening, but that's all standard parts.

I got my own shafts designed and made, in EN26 (?), but there are other options now.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:30 AM, Gazzar said:

Buy 24 inter spline shafts, buy a 24 spline diff.

Later defenders have the diffs, max trax had the shafts, if no longer available, you can commission them from GB engineering.

Was it GB who made these for you?

I had ten spline inners, second hand true traks.

But yes, send him the planet gears, and the CV, the length you want. Wait 7 weeks.

11 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I had ten spline inners, second hand true traks.

But yes, send him the planet gears, and the CV, the length you want. Wait 7 weeks.

Planet gears off the diff I presume? I’d just want a shorter version of the shaft itself and wouldn’t want to be stripping a diff down so I’ll give them a call first.

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2019 at 10:21 AM, Gremlin said:

It should work.

Well i went the other way and uprated my Stage 1 axle to 24 spline, via maxidrive shafts, plus a 4 pin macnamara center.

Grem

IMG_20181129_211021.thumb.jpg.b965377e33dfb1553299ceed491630d7.jpgIMG_20181129_211035.thumb.jpg.ace06bf729954c4ab868632c74020a36.jpg 

IMG_20181129_211014.jpg

IMG_20181129_211117.jpg

hi all. can someone please give me the actual lenght of these stage 1 v8 half shafts without the CVs fitted. thanks