Defender 200 Tdi water pump question

Evening all,

Does anyone know if STC635, 21/2 up to 19j is the same as and can be used instead of STC639 for Defender 200 Tdi ?

The reason I ask is that I know they have the same sealing footprint, STC635 is available from Airtex, the OEM supplier but STC639 isn't.

As I thought would be good practice, I replaced the genuine old reliable pump when I changed the timing belt with a new one Turners sell (I don't know what brand) but it's lasted less than two years.

Funds don't stretch to £270 for a new genuine pump but Airtex seem to have always been highly regarded, hence my question 😊

I have read Mavericks thread where he used a 200 pump on a 19j but can't find any reports of vice-versa.

Failing that can anyone recommend a reputable brand for STC639 ?

Cheers

Mo

I can’t answer your above question Mo but shop4auto parts do a stc639g made by Pro Flow for £50 don’t know if that make is any good , but says made in the uk and I’ve not used them personally yet but everything else I’ve had off there site has been good .

• Like 1

Morning chaps, 

Thanks for your replies.

Ian, I saw those on my searches and did note that they come with a 2 year warranty but I've never heard of them before.

Rich, it's leaking from the pump nose behind the pulley.

Thanks Mav, the only thing that concerns me now is that I read on an Aussie forum last night that flange for the fan may have a different pcd for the viscous 🙁

The pump that I changed last time had been on the engine 8 years before I changed it and came from the donor Defender engine before that so ...... I think I may have to hold my nose, cry a little bit in a quiet corner and buy a genuine pump and hope that it lasts as long as the original. 

Unless I still have that old one somewhere in the garage ...

Mo

4 hours ago, Maverik said:

Hi Mo,

I think they are one but the same. and this link also points to the same conclusion...

https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/water-pump-kit-da2135.html

Just wondering if anyone has the dimensions of the bearing in that kit? It looks not entirely dissimilar to the 'unobtainable' one in a 300tdi timing cover. OK I know it might have non-preferred origins....

Thanks Ian, I saw those on my searches but, maybe I'm just cynical, they seem to be selling proflo pumps at inflated prices trading on the airtex name. I doubt very much I'd get an airtex pump especially when nobody else seems to have them. 

Thanks again any way 👍

Mo

Yes I did wonder that myself, some of these traders are starting to get clever how they advertise things , seems strange Airtex make them for every other engine but the 200tdi . I’ve got one waiting to be fitted to the 300tdi on the bench . 

19J & Defender spec 200Tdi both use the same water pump to block gasket, could be a difference in the number of vanes or size of the pipe bores. 

IIRC my current water pump is a Airtex make, believe I got it from All makes via my local lr parts shop. 

Indeed Ralph.

Alas any airtex pumps that were available have gone into hiding without any prior revelation of or clue to their location.

So to recap ...

For this reason I am seeking quality alternatives. At the moment based on prior experience and recommendation I can really only consider genuine replacement at this moment in time.

The previous replacement from Turners which may or may not have been Pro Flo lasted less than 10k miles which in my opinion is nowhere near long enough given that the previous genuine came off a second hand engine, did 40k miles on this engine and hadn't failed when I replaced it !

So any further confirmed leads on the location of an Airtex 200 Tdi water pump would be welcomed 😊

Mo 

It’s also possible you just had a bad one ... and the issue isn’t endemic to the brand at all.

To help Turners, aside wether they can help you, I’d let them know.

They may also say - yours is the only one that’s failed blah blah ... or yes, we found that and have a stock of Airtex...

On 4/8/2019 at 11:27 PM, reb78 said:

Good luck even getting Island 4x4 to respond when the part fails.... let alone get a refund... dreadful company...

Well the shiny red box would make a good nest box for my hamster, probably...