New workshop project

Due to the depth of the cladding the doors will sit around 45mm proud of the current slab edge. So I think a very gentle slope for around 300mm and then a rubber strip or similar at the bottom of the doors to close against this slope near the top should do the trick.

At the bottom of the slope will be a linear drain, and from then on the ground can rise again. That way water will not naturally sit at the bottom of the doors having run down them, it will drain away from the building and into the drain.

By gentle slope I’m talking maybe 5-10mm fall over the 300mm run so no issue for moving things in or out. 

• Like 1

Two houses back I had a garage with side hinged wooden doors, and a howling gale blowing under them. I used some rubber temporary cable channel (the stuff that's used to run cables across floors at events) laid inside the doors and notched to fit round the floor bolt. I didn't even screw it down, it stayed in place quite well and it was easy to move them aside if I needed it out of the way. Worked very well.

It's not expensive, either:
https://www.theramppeople.co.uk/3-channel-indoor-cable-protector (from a quick internet search for an example - not a recommendation)

I do feel like I’m getting there now. Got the other side of roof sheets and the ridge done today, so other than the verge trims the roof is now covered. Very glad as it’ll give the ply a chance to dry out a bit now it’s not getting damp from rain every other day.

Can’t get a photo of the other side, so you’ll have to trust me :D

D482B586-076B-4EBF-A6A3-18E708D7AAC0.thumb.jpeg.8c6628e4305d222a782f31f2b42ffdea.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking good!

Can I suggest you beef up your temporary bracing?  Would hate to see all that right-angled loveliness turn into err... not right angles! 🙄 especially given your track record with outbuildings and the wind! :D 

• Haha 1

Internally sheathed in OSB, then insulation in the cavity, followed by breather membrane, batten void/cavity and finally the cladding.

The OSB will provide the racking strength, hence why the temporary bracing is on the inside as that will be the last bit on the walls.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening recently, managed to get the verge trims on the front gable end last weekend at least as I was concerned about wind getting under the sheets and lifting them. With the trims on and secured into the barge boards this should now be less likely.

The weather is holding me back - I want to get the wall membrane on but can’t do that until I can be reasonably confident that it won’t get torn to shreds in the time between that and when the cladding is fitted. As such I’m having to wait until I have the cladding ready to go.

This weekend we’ve another reasonable storm due, so probably not a bad thing that the building is still skeletal and the wind can go right through it!

• 3 weeks later...

The timber is sitting on a strip of DPC yes. They’re engineering bricks and they sit on the slab well above the ground, and the slab has it’s own DPM underneath it. Should stay nice and dry.

The rain and snow has now started, so that’s game over for today :rolleyes:

• Like 1