New workshop project

Yes - the ‘loft’ will be boarded with ply over the top of the truss bottom chords, this will give me a large amount of storage space accessible from the gap in the middle. Basically everything that’s light and not often used will go up there, with light and more regularly used things going on a high-level shelf down one side and finally only the heaviest things on the floor - engines/gearboxes/welder etc.

Heating wise I am hoping that once fully insulated a couple of small electric tube heaters will be enough to keep it above the dew point all year around and therefore avoid condensation. 

15 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Heating wise I am hoping that once fully insulated a couple of small electric tube heaters will be enough to keep it above the dew point all year around and therefore avoid condensation. 

You should be fine with that James. In my workshop, it’s enough to just have the oil filled radiator on in front of my toolbox to keep the tools from getting condensation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

You should be fine with that James. In my workshop, it’s enough to just have the oil filled radiator on in front of my toolbox to keep the tools from getting condensation. 

Same here, I've got a ~120W tube heater under the middle toolbox, so between the other toolbox & the lathe, hopefully keeping things dry.

Also got the home server in the garage as a free bonus heat source :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, daveturnbull said:

You need to get a wiggle on, these chaps built a Landy home in just a day! 😁

Can’t argue with that - bet they didn’t have covid-19 to contend with though!

Thanks chaps, useful to know that the principle works. I’m thinking a few hundred watts of tube heater at each end will keep the chill away and not cost a fortune to run. I can use a more powerful heater to top up if needed when I’m working in there, but to be honest I usually find that when I’m working I’m warm enough anyway once going. It’s the standing around jobs that need heat.

My only concern is the high roof meaning that a lot of the heat may be wasted up there. I could insulate at the joist level if need be,  but then I would need to find a way of closing off the open area when access was not required. These things will no doubt play themselves out once I am able to start properly using the building. 

On 4/1/2020 at 7:14 PM, Retroanaconda said:

My only concern is the high roof meaning that a lot of the heat may be wasted up there. I could insulate at the joist level if need be,  but then I would need to find a way of closing off the open area when access was not required. These things will no doubt play themselves out once I am able to start properly using the building. 

I wouldn't worry much James, particularly if you've insulated the roof? It doesn't take much heat in mine to make a difference even with the many more drafts I've got compared to you! 

• Like 1

The plan is to do the roof as well, yes. I’ve got all summer to worry about heating before it’s likely to actually be necessary again :D

Verges and fascias all painted. If I get some nice evenings this week I’ll start screwing them onto the building.

1682AE36-44AF-4236-8047-0C21A0BCA4ED.thumb.jpeg.8180fab3bc42ae8557413103393d26c6.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice workshop👍

When mine was being built a couple of years ago I asked the builder to install additional overhead strengthened beams to take the weight of a chain hoist, engine and gearbox. I’m so glad I did now as it’s proved invaluable when lugging the V8 and ZF in and out of the Series.

You can’t move stuff around the workshop in the same way you can with an engine hoist but it does allow for more working room around the engine when it’s suspended and I now have the engine stand and tool chest to move both about if I need to.

Yeah I like the roof lifting method, I use a chain lifting block, have swapped out many engines by rolling vehicles back and forward underneath, always seems easier than kicking an engine crane into submission.

Thanks all. Yes a decent beam in the roof to lift off is useful, my first workshop had an oak beam in it which I used to use to lift engines etc. with an old block and tackle hoist. At least with a smooth and level floor I can roll the engine crane about easier than at the last place.

Because of the design of the roof it would be fairly easy to install a steel frame into the open/vaulted section to support a beam in the future if I wanted to. A thought for another day perhaps.

I screwed the first pair of verge boards on this evening and so was able to put the rear gable end together, which means the roof sheets are now fully closed off at last. Except for the front where the verge trims have got to come off to swap the temporary boards for the new ones - but I’m not counting that! And the soffits of course.

5C4C94C8-893A-4CBD-87CE-B78C86C3C85B.thumb.jpeg.d999d380be73f802ef597820b05ed97d.jpeg

F084EAA8-5DE1-40A3-9393-4C50723CDEFC.thumb.jpeg.093a91124bd4b441bee0379630374220.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking excellent James 👍 

Were you left with any onduline sheets or verges going spare? I could do with a sheet or some verges to repair a shed roof, but reluctant to pay £27 delivery charge for such a small order whilst on lockdown. A sheet cut in half could probably be shipped for a tenner. Happy to pay full price obviously for sheet etc.

cheers, Steve