New workshop project

Been fitting some electrics this weekend. Got a couple of double sockets in and the lights mounted. The LAP battens are very easy to fit - hopefully they’ll be nice and bright with a good spread of light. They daisy-chain up to a max. of 8 units for this size.

1B0205D7-9FA0-41EA-A52B-FE162E552C42.thumb.jpeg.823d704419a78dd1f77a85647cd76d95.jpeg

The focus now is going to be getting the floor prepared, with a view to hopefully painting it next weekend. If I can get that done then I can start on things like the workbench and even move some bits in like my toolboxes. That way even if we are still in lockdown I can move it along in some way.

• Like 4

I defer to your greater experience Mo!

It rolled on okay yes. It’s incredibly sensitive to the amount of paint on the roller and this seems to affect the finished colour, annoyingly this means there are a few areas where there’s a very slight visible line. It also showed up my poor concrete finishing skills with numerous small holes across the surface caused by air bubbles during the floating process.

Nevertheless it covered well and seems to be curing okay, time will tell how robust it is once it has a car sat on it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

I defer to your greater experience Mo!

It rolled on okay yes. It’s incredibly sensitive to the amount of paint on the roller and this seems to affect the finished colour, annoyingly this means there are a few areas where there’s a very slight visible line. It also showed up my poor concrete finishing skills with numerous small holes across the surface caused by air bubbles during the floating process.

Nevertheless it covered well and seems to be curing okay, time will tell how robust it is once it has a car sat on it!

I noticed that with my first watered (white spirit)down coat, albeit with a 6" brush... where i slapped more on it would seemingly soak in further.

15 hours ago, western said:

Wish my garage floor was that level & smooth. 

HD levelling screed - it's what I did on the "old" half of my garage floor and it's been great. Clear junk out, sweep floor, seal with SBR, pour screed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, western said:

Cheers FF :)  maybe able to get around to that soon, just need to clear the garage, might have to do it in 2 parts. 

No worries, I wrote it up properly in my garage build thread if you need all the deets. ISTR it's Jewson who sell the HD screed as a lot of it is very light-duty for indoors only (no cold, no heavy weights, no impacts, etc.), so far mine's taken a lot of abuse with no problems.

• Like 1

Built a workbench, topped with scrap OSB for now. It will get an 18mm ply deck soon, and then 3mm steel sheet in time if I can get it arranged. I’ve had to guess the height to get the welder underneath, I bet it’s an inch short ^_^

F649EFDF-102F-414D-855A-6E50DE600313.thumb.jpeg.21bfac04b451a3f224cef73b73fb2405.jpeg

This also meant I could move my tool cabinet round which gets it out of the damp shed, and I can start thinking about shelving layouts etc. 

I didn’t want to start moving things in before it was finished, but unfortunately the inability to get supplies means I’m having to do things in an order determined by the materials I have got - it’s either that or do nothing at all.

• Like 3