New workshop project

Should be doable with a sensible roof design. Speak to your local planning office and run your thoughts by them.

Had to go and buy a new stepladder this morning (all hail Screwfix!) as my old one gave up the ghost so not much progress today, but I’ve painted the last wall and have been doing more in the roof.

I’ve decided to put some extra supports in the loft space after all, there wasn’t much flex in it but now it’s rock solid. There will be another one two rafters further back, but there’s so much space up there that they aren’t going to get in the way.

4A842ADD-FB92-4E46-ABF3-3EAFCCD57B8E.thumb.jpeg.cdc6ffca169b5a6a3ed6b1111fece753.jpeg

• Like 1

Very, very Nice !!

Once we find time - will be a few months - it is workshop / hay storage construction time here....

TBH - the money sounds right for UK and what you have.

Good investment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

How will you hold in the lift insulation? Board it over? and if boards will you use a lighter one?

It’ll be fitted between the rafters and then boarded in the same 9mm OSB as the walls. Really not looking forward to that job!

The big shelf is done - gratuitous panoramic shot of terrible mess :D

4D20647F-EA01-44D9-8C6E-8449EF5FD4AA.thumb.jpeg.d10bd1df3f71e3356c45ada3e403cd95.jpeg

• Haha 1

Laid the first part of the concrete area out front this morning. This piece will serve as a ramp from the building down to the linear drain, with the larger slab beyond.

There is a 1:50 fall away from the building and a 1:100 fall to the left for the drain to follow, plus a small (c. 10-15mm) step to prevent rainwater being driven in by wind. I am hopeful that this will not prove a significant barrier to rolling things in or out.

D9798503-97A0-47B0-8C9D-2632602B329D.thumb.jpeg.4528fdc2f62988ff9a92466fa533c6e7.jpeg

I flippin’ knew it! Needs raised by half an inch to let the welder roll underneath :rolleyes:

1DC79819-38FE-45C0-ABE2-7923D17F5FEF.thumb.jpeg.8af346e1d9a7174fff5200a43155c042.jpeg

Started moving some more bits in this weekend and got my compressor hooked up in a temporary fashion to let me use it. Need to get the belt done on the 90 and then I can do some more treasure collecting.

But first I need to get the roof insulated and boarded so that I can use the loft to house some of the junk I’ve brought up the road. 

• Like 1

It will go under by tipping it, but I’d like it to roll under easily. Might look at replacing the crossmembers with sections of 75x50 rather than 100x50 as that will gain me an inch.

The last cylinder lasted 9 years and two workshops so I’m not too worried about that :D

7 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I’m guessing it’s like mine and sat on the back of the welder. 

And I’m thinking - if it is, just take the plastic handle off - as it won’t need picking up for 9 years.